"object definition does not match any template"

Hi,

I’m working myself through the various TADS3 tutorials and I’m stuck …

When I try to compile the following source code I get an error message that says

“GoldenBanana.t(54): error: object definition does not match any template”

Line 54 is this line --> atmosphereList : ShuffledEventList{
When I put some comments around the atmosphereList, the code compiles without any errors.

Any idea what’s wrong here?

jens

[code]gameMain : GameMainDef
initialPlayerChar = me
showIntro()
{
“Finding yourself at a loose end in the Parser Valley, you have wandered up to take a look at the famous Eerhtsdat Caves. You’re not entirely sure what they’re famous for, or why they should be worth a look, but that’s what it said the guidebook you found abandoned on the back seat of the bus, so it must be true. Anyway, you’re here now, so you reckon you may as well take a look.\b”;
}
setAboutBox()
{
"The Quest of the Golden Banana\b
v <<versionInfo.version>>\b
© 2004 Eric Eve\b
";
}

showGoodBye()
{
“<.p>Thanks for playing!”;
}
;

me: Actor
desc = "You look even better than the last time you looked. "
location = outsideCave
;

versionInfo: GameID
IFID = ‘cd03d4a8-f39b-ae69-693d-5fddc65f6dd8’
name = ‘The Quest of the Golden Banana’
byline = ‘by Eric Eve’
htmlByline = ‘by Eric Eve
version = ‘1.0’
authorEmail = ‘Eric Eve eric.eve@hmc.ox.ac.uk
desc = ‘A combination of cave exploration and time-travel with clear allusions both to the Lord of the Rings and Dr Who, this game is primarily an example game to provide a tutorial on the adv3 library for aspiring TADS 3 game authors.’
htmlDesc = ‘A combination of cave exploration and time-travel with clear allusions both to The Lord of the Rings and Dr Who, this game isprimarily an example game to provide a tutorial on the adv3 library for aspiring TADS 3 game authors.’

showCredit()
{
    "TADS 3 language and library by Michael J. Roberts ";"\b";
}

showAbout()
{
    "Although this game is winnable, and some players may find it tolerably entertaining, it is primarily designed as a sample game and programming exercise to accompany the <i>TADS 3 Tour Guide</i>. The game has thus been designed to give authors a reasonably comprehensive tour of the library, rather than as a satisfactory playing experience by the standards of modern IF. This may result in (a) a certain quirkiness about the whole game, (b) somewhat bizarre and derivative plotting and (c) incomplete implementation of non-essential aspects of the game such as hints, scoring, and decoration objects. This is because the game's primary audience - people trying to learn how to program with the TADS 3 library - only need a limited number of examples of each feature.\b There should, however, be no actual bugs in the game (that is, there are not <i>meant</i> to be any actual bugs, although there almost certainly <i>will</i> be some in practice), so should you encounter any, the author would be grateful for a bug report. ";

}
;

outsideCave : OutdoorRoom
roomName = ‘Parser Valley’
desc = “To the north stretches the broad green Parser Valley under a clear blue sky,
past a small car park lying just off to the east. The main feature of
interest round here is the notorious Eerhtsdat Caves, the entrance to which lies just to the south, marked by a large blue sign that proclaims, predictably enough:\b
ENTRANCE TO THE\nEERHTSDAT CAVES\n”

atmosphereList : ShuffledEventList{
[
'\nA flight of birds disappears off to the west. ',
{: "\nA <>small<>red<>blue<>black<>white<> car pulls out of the car park and drives of to the north. "},
'\nAn aeroplane flies far overhead. ',
nil
]
}
;
[/code]

Didn’t you forgot to include headers? Every file should begin with:

#charset "us-ascii" #include <adv3.h> #include <en_us.h>

I’ve included the headers (looks like I lost them when I copied the source into this thread).

The error must be somewhere in this part, but everything looks alright to me …

atmosphereList : ShuffledEventList{ [ '\nA flight of birds disappears off to the west. ', {: "\nA <<one of>>small<<or>>red<<or>>blue<<or>>black<<or>>white<<at random>> car pulls out of the car park and drives of to the north. "}, '\nAn aeroplane flies far overhead. ', nil ] }

Maybe someone can copy the code from my first posting and try to compile it?

Jens

You forgot to include <adv3.h>. Check again.

You’re right RealNC.

I only had

#charset "us-ascii" #include <en_us.h>

#include <adv3.h>” was missing. Oh boy, that’s embarrassing. :blush:

Sorry to take your valuable time…

Jens