intfiction.org

The Interactive Fiction Community Forum
It is currently Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:54 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 12:18 pm 

If anyone is curious, I added some more features over the weekend: http://diorama2-ussherpress.rhcloud.com ... e_advanced The docs I put up are sparse, but I'll add to them this week.

You can now group content into blocks and apply a single conditional statement to them all. This is to get away from having the exact same conditional on several lines. You can also use a "subroutine" redirect which will continue to where the subroutine was called once it completes. The regular redirect just ends the script outright. Finally, I added pre and post sections that are always evaluated with each node. This way, you can have the same bit of text appear on each node shown. A typical scenario for this would be to have some global text or branch that is conditional on, say, an item being held by the user. Once the user has this item, a branch would always appear (think "Use magical item here").

I'm going to add a variable to report back the current section name as that will help with making the pre and post sections more useful. (Imagine having a branch that only shows up in certain rooms.)

These features are so new that I still have to play with them to see what's possible :) , but I can say that now you can write some more complex things. Coming up with the syntax that is easy to use is definitely challenging. (Of course, I also made it extra challenging by not allowing myself to see how other systems do it.) I'll probably write up a blog post eventually to cover how I evolved my syntax.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:53 am 

I've created yet another site like this one and the one before it. :) Please take a look:

https://thiswayorthat-ussherpress.rhcloud.com/

This latest version is very different in that it is more a collaborative site where you can add to other people's stories. You can still create branches, but now they're more explicit and aren't encoded in the text. You just add them, almost like a message forum.

I made this one as an experiment to see what kinds of things people can come up with if they tried making interactive fiction in an exquisite corpse fashion.

Profile Send private message