intfiction.org

The Interactive Fiction Community Forum
It is currently Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:30 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: ZILF
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:28 pm 

Actually, there's a more convenient way to do it for locked doors: (NORTH TO SOME-ROOM IF IRON-GATE IS OPEN). You can customize the message, too. See the grate and the crystal bridge in advent.zil.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:47 pm 

you are awesome dude!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:56 pm 

oh yeah, I just realized you also launched an IDE for ZILF if not ZIL, Yomin... Dude, you are like my hero :P If only ZILF existed in my 20's I would have given up on other IF languages and use this! But if it wasn't for my experience with ALAN 2, I wouldn't have idea how to program in list programming!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:26 pm 

Just a thought... has a straight C port of ZILF been considered?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:12 pm 

DavidG wrote:
Just a thought... has a straight C port of ZILF been considered?

Not by me. I think the project has benefited substantially from being written in C#, and the benefits of porting it to C would be minimal; it already runs everywhere you can install Mono.

If someone else wants to give it a try...

The easiest way would be to start by extending Confusion, Matthew Russotto's MDL interpreter written in C. Roughly half the code in ZILF is there to parse and execute a subset of MDL. Confusion implements a different subset, but it's most of the way there.

At that point, you'd want to decide whether to implement the ZIL compilation part in C or MDL. C would surely execute faster, but MDL might be easier to work in -- you're going to be manipulating a lot of MDL structures anyway. Writing it in MDL would also, amusingly, let you run your compiler on the real mainframe MDL (twenex.org) or even on top of ZILF.

Alternatively...

You could do a direct port. Translating 60,000+ lines of C# to C is a big task, but doable. Besides having to flatten all the OOP, the code also makes use of various C#-isms that you'd need to rework: for example, ZILF's systems for parsing parameter lists have made it incredibly easy to add functions to the compiler and interpreter, but they're built on reflection, so you'd either need to redesign them in a way that makes sense for C or write custom parsing/type-checking code for about 400 functions.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:16 am 

Hey Jess, good job on updating the ZILF logs! Cannot wait to download the new ZILF zero-point release! Looking forward to the future of it being at version 1! It's all good even if I have to use Mono. Even with WINE without Mono, most likely to dedicated kernel releases of my Lubuntu Xenial updates, I can play it outta the box just as well! Your bringing ZIL with your software suite has made an old skool IF-er's dreams come true! Thanks again dude!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:38 am 

Hey Jesse, how do I go about the SOUND or DISPLAY routine call and block creation? Like how do I link the routine from the object like a room or others, and what tag do I use to define the soundfile and a variable for it's name, is it the GLOBAL variable tag? Ie, sound is dedicated OGG and PNG for OSS and compact rom storage efficiency "sound001.ogg" and "pic001.png" are the file names and archs.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:12 am 

grimjerr wrote:
Hey Jesse, how do I go about the SOUND or DISPLAY routine call and block creation? Like how do I link the routine from the object like a room or others, and what tag do I use to define the soundfile and a variable for it's name, is it the GLOBAL variable tag? Ie, sound is dedicated OGG and PNG for OSS and compact rom storage efficiency "sound001.ogg" and "pic001.png" are the file names and archs.

I'm afraid you're mostly on your own if you want to try this. The library hasn't been updated for V6 yet, only the compiler and assembler.

First, you'll need to consult the Z-Machine Standard on correct use of the opcodes: http://inform-fiction.org/zmachine/stan ... index.html. (But watch out, they have different names in ZIL!)

Second, your source code will only refer to sounds and graphics by number. ZILF might do more to help here in the future, but for now you'll need a separate Blorb packaging tool to turn your media files into something the interpreter can use, such as cBlorb, which is included with Inform 7: http://inform7.com/sources/src/cBlorb/Woven/index.html.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:05 pm 

thanks man! also saw you released the new ZILF zero-point! Great job, you never disappoint!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:54 pm 

FWIW, if you're developing on some sort of Unix, I've updated the Perl-based Blorb tools. They're at https://github.com/DavidGriffith/blorbtools.