intfiction.org

The Interactive Fiction Community Forum
It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:36 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:53 pm 

Testing the scott2zip perl script and with my own scott adams storyfile compiled from SAC (Scott Adam Compiler) perl script compiler written by Mike Taylor. It came out in errors. But converting an original Adventureland storyfile came out perfect when converted to inform 5.5 source code. But when use the decompiler from SAC (SAD) to convert it to the original source, and then recompiled Adventureland, and then tried conversion to inform source, the same errors came out. Mayhaps I should inspect the script to the successfully converted inform 5.5 sources so I can see if there are consistencies of important headers and functions of the source and just program from scratch for inform 5.5 using said source file as a framework and release a z5 file. Is that a good idea guys?

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:44 pm 

What errors?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:19 pm 

I've tried using Scott2Zip and I get strange output. For example, when I try to compile Adventureland, I get this output:

Code:
Scalar value @exit_name[$i] better written as $exit_name[$i] at scott2zip line 388.
Illegal hexadecimal digit '-' ignored at scott2zip line 949.
ADV01.DAT (TRS-80 format)
Use of uninitialized value $_ in substitution (s///) at scott2zip line 206, <DATA> line 882.
Use of uninitialized value $_ in substr at scott2zip line 207, <DATA> line 882.
Use of uninitialized value $_ in substitution (s///) at scott2zip line 206, <DATA> line 882.

When I try to compile the resulting source in with Inform

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:25 pm 

Whoops. Anyways, when I try to compile the source, I get weird output about stack overflow and strange hex numbers.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:22 pm 

I think there's some weird condition that SAC along with SAD does to directly alter the first line that is only numbers that reads out on Scott Adams style DAT storyfile, both proprietary and 3rd party. By reading and comparing the first line that is only number, it reads totally different from an original DAT file with any Adventure International game (ie Pirates Island, Adventureland) that is "disassembled" from SAD to SAC readable code. The file format for the DAT storyfile is pure text and straight forward especially with the ScottFree standards interpreter standards on how it reads it out, but I think there are some irregularities in the recoding of any of the SAC made DAT files due that the read out will always come in error with the Scott2Zip script despite the fact that it is even runnable in ScottFree.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:16 pm 

my best bet is if you want to make a Scott Adams style game (I wouldn't due that you have enough space for ram and also storage as is to make a full prose and take advantage of the full on Infocom compatible parser and then some with Inform 5) you cannot use SAC compiled game (at least until Mike Taylor makes an update to it, and that is unlikely due that the last update nearly if not over 5 years old) but study a INF source file from the scott2zip perl conversion script from at least 2 or 3 different of Scott Adams' games (as study and research, of course you know you can do that long as you just do that, or play it the damn thing, but of course that goes without saying) then compile from Inform 5 (due that it uses function calls that only it uses and is now in obsolescence, cause Inform 6 and 7) etc. But why do that, when you can just use ScottFree out of the box from your personal SAC source? Unless you want to convert to keep your code assembled in zcode I wouldn't go through the heart ache of wanting to do that because I have the ease of the source of SAC which is still playable through ScottFree... If only if there was ScottFree javascript terp that can read DAT files even from SAC and is truly, ScottFree legit.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:39 am 

Yes, I had the same problem. Have you already found the solution?