intfiction.org

The Interactive Fiction Community Forum
It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:23 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:18 pm 

SAFTAP v0.01 now released.

SAFTAP http://www.therealeasterbunny.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/saftap.zip

Scott's Game Files with license info http://www.therealeasterbunny.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/sagames.zip

Please feel free to check out SAFTAP and let me know your thoughts. It should be pretty solid even though its v0.01 as it built on AdvPDA which went through quite a good bash testing.

Custom font selection, sizes and colours can be done by editing SAFTAP.INI.

Hopefully enjoy. :)

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:36 pm 

If you do not like my pastel colour scheme, please adjust your INI file and if its really cool, why not post it here.

Here is a VDU 'green screen' config which looks great for the purists of old school text adventuring:

Code:
[PRESENTATION]
FontName=Courier New
FontSize=14
FontBold=N
FontItalic=N
FontUnderline=N

FormColor=000000

OutputBackground=001000
MesgText=00A000
RoomText=00A000
ExitText=00A000
LookText=00A000

InputBackground=001000
InputText=00A000

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:08 pm 

Nice! :D My impressions:

-Under Windows 7 I had run the program with administrator privileges to avoid crashing on loading any file. Even then It will refuse to load .dat files (with a VB run time error 62) but .saf files work OK (save adv13, which will fail for some unknown reason).

-It would be nice if both options and console commands were available through an ordinary windows menu, but of course that's not a priority at this stage.

-Dying is confusing. You still can input commands and they seem to have an effect, though you get always the "Your adventure is over" message box. At that point what I would expect is an option to either restart, load a new game, or quit.

-I like this "just one window" layout with everything getting cleaned and updated every turn. It's nice for both usability and comfortable playability. Ideally player should have an option to switch between this and the classic "two windows" display, but I guess that would be complicated at least.

Great job indeed! Thanks a lot for it! 8-)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:35 pm 

Hey Rockersuke, thanks for the quick feedback!

OK, just had a rummage...

ADV13 seems to have a slightly different format in that the location room numbers for the items are not on the same line as the item but on the next line. I have edited ADV13.SAF and adjusted this and SAFTAP now loads this Adventure. I have rezipped sagames.zip and uploaded to my wesite.

I have renamed ADV02.SAF to ADV02.DAT and SAFTAP (under Windows XP) is happy loading the DAT file. Are you opening a specific DAT file? If so, can you email the specific DAT file to therealeasterbunny ~at~ hotmail ~dot~ com so I can test it with the source code? From this I should be able to locate the problem.

I have tidied up the game over / player killed routine so it pops up the game over message box and leaves a final message in the output window but any subsequent command asks the player to open a new Adventure. I will load "v0.02" SAFTAP up to the website with this fix once I have checked out your DAT problem.

The additional features you mention could be built in shortly, thanks for the feedback, its most welcome and most useful!

Steve

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:10 pm 

Quick update - I think the problem with the DAT issue mybe that the DAT file is using just line feeds (Unix derived file) and not carriag return/line feed codes (DOS/Windows derived).

I will cater for this in my code (my "Doh!") and will whack up v0.02 on my site very soon and then give you a heads up :)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:02 pm 

v0.03 now available from: http://therealeasterbunny.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/saftap.zip

Code:
-------------------------------------------------------------
SAFTAP - Scott Adams Format Text Adventure Player - WHATS NEW
therealeasterbunny             therealeasterbunny@hotmail.com

0.01 - Initial Alpha Release

0.02 - Tidied up 'Game Over' routine.

Tuned up up/down arrow on previous commands.

Recoded Adventure load to cater for DAT/SAF files 
        that only have LF end-of-line and not CR/LF

0.03 - Fixed DROP routine for mutiple items with same item code.