Ramus rocks!

There are about three things you need to know to make something in Ramus, and I put them together into a little template file. This because I got tangled up editing the demo.

The absolute minimum you need to use Ramus is here:

[rant][code]

Document Title html { Background-color: #442200; } body { Opacity: 0.95; Font-size: 1.1em; Width: 80ex; Margin: 5ex auto; Padding: 5ex; Background-color: #885522; Color: white; Border: 1px solid black; Border-right-width: 2px; Border-bottom-width: 2px; -webkit-box-shadow: 3px 3px 3px #999999; -moz-box-shadow: 3px 3px 3px #999999; Box-shadow: 3px 3px 3px #999999; Font-family: serif; Position: relative; } a { Color: #000000; } a.external { Font-variant: small-caps; } a.external:visited { Color: #990066; } h1, h2, h3, h4, h5, h6 { Font-weight: bold; Font-family: sans-serif; } h1 { Font-size: 1.6em; Border-bottom: 1px solid black; Text-align: center; } h2 { Font-size: 1.5em; } h3 { Font-size: 1.4em; } h4 { Font-size: 1.3em; } h5 { Font-size: 1.2em; } h6 { Font-size: 1.1em; } #transcript table { Margin: 1em auto; } #transcript th, #transcript td { Margin: 0; Padding: 0.5em; Border: 1px solid #808080; Border-collapse: collapse; } #transcript th { Color: #ffffff; Background-color: #808080; Font-family: serif; } #transcript hr { Color: #808080; } address { Font-size: 0.9em; Text-align: center; } dt { Font-weight: bold; }
This document requires Javascript.

This document uses Ramus! --A nifty little JavaScript program created by Felix Pleșoianu

This text is the text that starts the document! From here on, you're on your own.

Make a link like this or like this.

Click through to the Ramus website for more detailed info.
[?do clear_links();?]

Use the above line to clear past links, so the player can't back up.

[/code][/rant]

Save this to a .htm or .html file, edit it with a text editor, and open it with your browser to go.

Conrad.

Thanks Conrad! And thanks to Felix P. too (who if I’m not mistaken is not the Felix who posts here under that name) - Ramus looks very nice, and easier to learn than Undum. I suppose I might have to learn a little Javascript if I want to do any state tracking in it, but it seems easier than diving straight into the Undum examples.

Guys,

Find attached a little interactive story I’ve just cranked out using Ramus. This is to show what you can do with the three moves illustrated by the earlier template, and hopefully to entertain.

Conrad.
Unicorn_Story.zip (279 KB)

Cool. But are there any particular reasons (religious or otherwise) you’re not using JQuery?

No idea what JQuery is. What, did I code it badly?

Conrad.

Reading the google I find:

The best featuring for jQuery is the effects you can accomplish, with less code than what it would take with JavaScript. Most common jQuery effects are drop down menus, drag and drop elements, animations and form validation.

Also a Wikipedia thing I don’t entirely fathom and a web page for JQ itself.

–I did not write the JavaScript code. That was done by Felix. There’s a link to his personal page and to the Ramus project page in that file.

As I understand the technology tree – I might be entirely wrong; such things aren’t really on my radar – Inform 7 was modified to be clickable through a nifty thing called Vorple. OTOH, there was something called Undum, which also made for clickable IF. But both were pretty complex. So Felix made Ramus, with greatly simplified options, in order to greatly simplify document production.

I have no idea why he wrote the JS code in the way he did.

Conrad.