intfiction.org

The Interactive Fiction Community Forum
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:02 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:27 am 

I'm pretty new to the whole IF scene (been mainly playing infocom games on Windows Frotz) and I've got a few questions which may or may not be stupid. I'll number them, ok?

1. I noticed TADS 3 games I compile have the extension .t3, yet the games I've downloaded have a .gam extension. Is there a difference between .t3 and .gam?

2. How do I play Level 9 or Magnetic Fields games in Gargoyle? I have DOS versions which don't have .l9 or .mag extensions. (Of course I could play in DosBox but since Gargoyle has the option to play those I'm kind of curious how that works.)

3a. I've downloaded a zblorb file (it's Bronze btw), now I know blorb is a container file, but from looking at the source code on the inform7 website I understand the solution and a website are included with it. How do I look inside a zblorb / blorb file?

3b. On a related note, is there a z-code player which can display the intro picture and the blurb of zblorb files?

Thanks in advance!

~ Chris

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:54 am 

1. .gam files are TADS 2.

2. I would guess that renaming the files works, though I haven't ever tried.

3a. Look inside to do what?

3b. Yes, WinFrotz or Zoom should do that.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:26 am 
3a - You're mistaking things a bit, I'm afraid. Blorb packages together SOME information - cover image, blurb, and other stuff like that. What I7 can do is, it can create a "website" and "solution" for your game when you compile it; you get the finished webpage, all you have to do is put it online.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:31 pm 

@Dannii: Thanks for clearing that up. Renaming Level 9 files did work, but Magnetic Scrolls didn't. However I found this site where Magnetic Scrolls games in .mag format are available for download.

3b: No, what I meant was an interpreter that can play Z-Code but also display the story summary. When I load Bronze in WinGit is shows me an intro screen, then gives an error because it can't play Z-Code. I wondered if there was a Z-Code interpreter that shows that intro screen.

@Peter: Ah, I thought it was like a ZIP or RAR archive, but apparently that's not the case at all. Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:45 pm 

Christiaan wrote:
3b: No, what I meant was an interpreter that can play Z-Code but also display the story summary. When I load Bronze in WinGit is shows me an intro screen, then gives an error because it can't play Z-Code. I wondered if there was a Z-Code interpreter that shows that intro screen.

Windows Frotz will do this, but only if the game actually has intro text and/or a graphic - not all do.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:09 pm 

Turns out I was using an older version of WindowsFrotz, the newest version does indeed display an intro screen; my mistake. Thanks!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:45 pm 

Sorry for ressurecting this thread, but...
My WinFrotz Version is 1.17 (which is newer than the current version according to David Kinder's "deprecated" WinFrotz page ;) )
But it doesn't seem to show the cover of the game nor does it activate the "About this game" menu entry for my .zblorb.

I compiled it with babel and iPhone Frotz does show both the cover and the additional iFiction infos (author, description).
My description does contain german umlauts! Could that be a problem?

Or is my WinFrotz version broken?

Edit: My game is written in I6 this is why I use babel to compile the .zblorb... Maybe rereleasing with I7 is another option?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 6:23 pm 
Well, first off, to minimise confusion, WinFrotz is not the same as Windows Frotz. If you're using 1.17 you're using the latest version of Windows Frotz, which is great.

The umlauts might be an issue, it wouldn't surprise me, but the biggest question here is, do you see that behaviour with other blorbed files? If so, yes, something's wrong with your Frotz (can't imagine how). For now, try it without the umlauts and give us a shout. If that doesn't work, try indeed rereleasing with I7 and let I7 blorb it for you.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:48 am 

Mischa wrote:
My WinFrotz Version is 1.17 (which is newer than the current version according to David Kinder's "deprecated" WinFrotz page
Annoyingly I can't access that old page to delete it: at least the version is correct here: http://davidkinder.co.uk/frotz.html

There's no obvious reason why umlauts in the description would cause problems, but you could always try taking them out to test. There could be a bug in Windows Frotz here, or there could be something wrong with the generated XML in the Blorb file that iPhone Frotz is ignoring. If you email me the problem Blorb (my email address is in the Windows Frotz help file) I will have a look at it.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:58 am 

DavidK wrote:
Mischa wrote:
My WinFrotz Version is 1.17 (which is newer than the current version according to David Kinder's "deprecated" WinFrotz page
Annoyingly I can't access that old page to delete it: at least the version is correct here: http://davidkinder.co.uk/frotz.html

Yes, but unfortunately that link does not show up on the first page of search results when searching for "WinFrotz download".
But this could also be a problem with the personalized search results from Google.

DavidK wrote:
There's no obvious reason why umlauts in the description would cause problems, but you could always try taking them out to test.

I tested that but it also didn't work.

DavidK wrote:
There could be a bug in Windows Frotz here, or there could be something wrong with the generated XML in the Blorb file that iPhone Frotz is ignoring. If you email me the problem Blorb (my email address is in the Windows Frotz help file) I will have a look at it.

Since other blorbs did work (I just tried two random ones from http://mirrors.ibiblio.org/interactive-fiction/games/zcode/).

I found some differences in the .iFiction file, but that also didn't help.

Last try: I'm sending the .zblorb via mail to see if there's anything wrong! (Althogh babel says it's ok!)