Choice of Robots: Your robots will change the world!

We’re proud to announce that our newest game, Choice of Robots, is now available for Steam, iOS, Android, and Kindle Fire.

choiceofgames.com/robots/re … hp?src=ifo

The robots you design will change the world! Will you show them the true meaning of love, or conquer Alaska with your robot army?

Choice of Robots is an epic 300,000-word interactive sci-fi novel by Kevin Gold, where your choices control the story. It’s entirely text-based—without graphics or sound effects—and fueled by the vast, unstoppable power of your imagination.

Play out thirty years of your life as a brilliant robot maker, from graduate school near the present day to a future in which your robots have changed everything. Depending on your choices, your robots may be independent or obedient, clumsy or graceful, empathic or cold…and you yourself may live to an old age happily married or alone with only robots to comfort you.

Play as male or female, gay or straight, with nine characters to romance, four alternate climax chapters, and over seventy achievements to unlock.

• Build a unique robot character–you choose everything from its shape to what it calls you
  • Instigate or prevent a robotic uprising
  • Teach your robots to love humanity, or disdain it
  • Build an artificial intelligence suitable to take control of the world’s governments
  • Start a war against the United States, and win
  • Marry a human or an advanced robot, and start a family

Are all your releases going to start to be simultaneous on Steam, or is it just selected ones?

Our goal is to release our entire catalog of interactive novels on Steam. Based on the performance of Choice of the Deathless, Thieves’ Gambit: Curse of the Black Cat, and Mecha Ace, Valve has allowed us to ship Choice of Robots plus one additional game TBD. We’ll need to continue to deliver outstanding results to prove that interactive fiction can be successful on Steam.

We’re asking all of our fans to follow us on Steam. Even if you don’t use Steam that much, it will be a big help if you sign up to follow us there, because the more followers we get, the better visibility we get on Steam’s curator list. (Our goal is to hit 3,000 followers for our Steam curation page; we’re about 12% of the way there as I write this.)

When you follow us, you’ll see our games and our recommended games right on your Steam home page. It’s free, and it’s a big help to us!

store.steampowered.com/login/?r … r/7026798/

That wasn’t quite my question. I meant will they start to be released at the same time on iOS/Android as on Steam? Or is it just for selected games (I think the third Heroes game is the only other one where this happened) where you think there will be more Steam interest?

(I double-bought Mecha Ace, since I try to support commercial interactive fiction the best I can, but in general I would probably pick the Steam version over the tablet version.)

It’s hard to give a clear answer here. Concretely, Valve gives us “app credits” which we can use to release games on Steam. They’ll give us N credits, which is always fewer than the number of games we have coming out, so we have to pick and choose how we use them. Our goal is to maximize the number of app credits they’ll give us in the future, so we try to pick games that will appeal to Steam buyers.

Sometimes we’ll skip launching a game on Steam, but it will do unexpectedly well on iOS, forcing us to decide whether to submit that older game on Steam, or doing a simultaneous release for the newer game.

If we had unlimited app credits, we’d release everything on Steam at launch.

You’ve gotta find a way to get Tin Star up there.

We just used our last app credit (for now) publishing Psy High on Steam. store.steampowered.com/app/339510 It became the #1 Paid RPG on the iOS App Store within hours of release, so we wanted to be sure it had full exposure on Steam.

Choice of Robots is turning out to be our top-rated game of the year.

• On iOS, the game has received 103 ratings with an average of 4.9 stars out of 5 (across all versions)
  • On the Google Play Store for Android, it received 300 ratings with an average of 4.8 stars
  • On Steam, which uses thumbs up/down, it received 148 ratings, 98% positive

We released a dozen games this year under the Choice of Games label, and Choice of Robots has beaten them all in ratings. For 2014, if you’re interested in our brand of games at all, I’d strongly recommend Choice of Robots.

choiceofgames.com/robots/re … hp?src=ifo