Need help with Emily Short's City of Secrets please!

Hi, I’ve searched everywhere and cannot find the answer to this. Even emailed Emily and she doesn’t know as it was quite a while ago. But…

I’m stuck in the rare book room. I have no idea how to get past the wire mesh and the strange force blocking the exit.

Want to say I’ve tried everything, but obviously haven’t or I wouldn’t be stuck. So help would be appreciated! Am determined to finish this game as I’ve come so far and it’s prob my fave IF game so far! Thanks in advance.

I was stumped at the same point. It took me a frustrating hour before I figured out the simple solution (well, it seems simple NOW).

The wire mesh is basically a librarian’s best friend. It blocks you from swiping a book from the library. Drop the book, and you should be able to leave.

Really? That’s ridiculous lol! I thought I had to personally do something because…

…of the force in front of the mesh.

Am annoyed now, can’t believe that haha. And glad I’m not the only one that got stuck! Thanks so much, I had to finish this as I love this game so far.

You’re welcome. Despite that part, it’s one of my favorites, too. :smiley:

(“It” being City of Secrets.)

Sorry to bump an old thread but I thought it was useful.

I’m right at the start of the game.

I’ve just been mugged and turned down the chance of being tagged. The parser said I could use a drink and a job, but I’m not sure where to go now? I’ve asked every NPC I could find in every shop and the hotel about getting a job but they all just said they weren’t hiring.

I think I’ve probably missed something obvious but I’ve searched around and can’t really find where I’m supposed to get one (or even if that is my actual goal).

OK. I’ve figured out what I need to do - I need to get past the barrier to the west.

I’ve talked to the man in the hotel lobby and he said I was cleared for one, but he didn’t tell me where to get one/

Then the homeless man in the fortress suggested I should attack someone and take their card. He said look for someone who locks himself up, which I assume means the escape artist, but I couldn’t figure out what I have to do to take his card. I can’t attack him and he won’t talk to me. Do I have to help him escape somehow first?

Don’t know if anyone can help. I’ve been stuck for a couple of days now and I’m really enjoying this game but can’t find anywhere how to progress,

I’m afraid I don’t remember the answer to this myself. (I had a poke about to see if the source code was still lying around, in case that would help. Answer: not that I can find.) Maybe someone else has played it more recently, though?

Thanks! I think the beggar suggested he might give me a card if I gave him money? And the antique seller offered to pay for my watch if it weren’t broken I think, but can’t find out how to fix it.