The King of Shreds and Patches -- help

I’ve been playing through The King of Shreds and Patches by Jimmy Maher for over a month now. I think I’m just into the endgame, and I’m stuck beyond help of the hints.

Here’s the immediate context:

The PC has just come back from visiting with John Dee, and then goes to bed. When he wakes up, he finds a letter from Lucy telling him to come visit, but the maid says she’d just gone somewhere.

Here’s what I did:

First, I went to Joseph Barker’s house at Whitehall but couldn’t get past the guards. Then I went back to other end of the map and eventually found Barker’s company at Billingsgate Wharf. The conversation with the NPC there seemed unproductive, but it knocked off one of the goals. The hint system confirms that there is no way to get past the guards at this point.

Here are the PC’s remaining goals (revealed by the THINK command):

[spoiler]-- Now that you know at last where he resides, you should pay Joseph Barker a little visit at his home in Whitehall. It may be your only way of saving Lucy (assuming she is still alive, of course).

– Lucy has disappeared from her home under very strange circumstances. You need to try to find her; a sick feeling tells you she may otherwise end up (God forbid) sharing the same fate as Marijne.[/spoiler]

I don’t know what to do, or if I’ve made the game state unwinnable. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you.

I had trouble at the same point, and I just figured out what I missed. When Betsy leaves to search Lucy’s room she suggests you look around the room. If you examine the hearth you’ll notice a smoldering piece of paper. Move it with your trusty walking stick to pick it up.

I see. That does the trick.

Thanks, adept42. :smiley:

Thank you for this tip. I was stuck in the same place. Damned annoying IMHO, and I was sure I’d tried something with the walking stick before and it hadn’t worked (perhaps I only pushed instead of pulled or vice versa).

Thankfully you don’t need to be alone. If that had been the case I would have been starting from a much earlier save. Cheers.

Apologies for necroing an old thread, but as I’m also stuck in this game I figured I might as well post my query here instead of starting a new thread.

I’m currently in the Globe theatre and can’t get any further. The hints have nothing useful for me, I can’t leave the location I’m in (the Globe Pit) and I can’t figure out any way past this part. Attacking people, shooting people, etc, gets me nowhere. Does anyone know what I need to do next?