intfiction.org

The Interactive Fiction Community Forum
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:54 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 6:32 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:34 pm
Posts: 3194
Location: Burlington, VT
Jacqueline wrote:
]You must code in a programming language you've never written a game in before.
What's that mean, precisely? Half-hearted pokes at a language don't count, but if you've ever had the thought, Okay, let's try programming a game in X!, that counts.


Still a little confused as to what this means... though my IFDemo thing (not to mention TWIFComp) probably rules out Inform 7 for me, and nothing else is remotely ruled out except maybe BASIC, so I guess it's moot. Hm.


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 6:41 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2008 1:13 pm
Posts: 66
Location: Seattle
matt w wrote:
Jacqueline wrote:
You must code in a programming language you've never written a game in before.
What's that mean, precisely? Half-hearted pokes at a language don't count, but if you've ever had the thought, Okay, let's try programming a game in X!, that counts.
Still a little confused as to what this means... though my IFDemo thing (not to mention TWIFComp) probably rules out Inform 7 for me, and nothing else is remotely ruled out except maybe BASIC, so I guess it's moot. Hm.
Hm... please explain your confusion, and I'll try to clarify. If you mean Does "Hello, World!" count?, no. It doesn't. From what you've said, sounds like you can try lots of different things, just not BASIC or I7.

The spirit of this is to try something new in a more in a substantive way. (For values of substantive that equal Speed-IF quality, that is. ;) )


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 6:45 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 20, 2009 5:28 pm
Posts: 39
Location: Indianapolis, Indiana, USA
OK, this time...I'm really, really gonna try and actually complete an entry...and I mean it.


I hope


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:40 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:34 pm
Posts: 3194
Location: Burlington, VT
Jacqueline wrote:
matt w wrote:
Jacqueline wrote:
You must code in a programming language you've never written a game in before.
What's that mean, precisely? Half-hearted pokes at a language don't count, but if you've ever had the thought, Okay, let's try programming a game in X!, that counts.
Still a little confused as to what this means... though my IFDemo thing (not to mention TWIFComp) probably rules out Inform 7 for me, and nothing else is remotely ruled out except maybe BASIC, so I guess it's moot. Hm.
Hm... please explain your confusion, and I'll try to clarify. If you mean Does "Hello, World!" count?, no. It doesn't. From what you've said, sounds like you can try lots of different things, just not BASIC or I7.

The spirit of this is to try something new in a more in a substantive way. (For values of substantive that equal Speed-IF quality, that is. ;) )


Well, what I meant was something like this: I've had the thought "hey, let's try programming a game in ChoiceScript!", but I haven't actually ever programmed a game in ChoiceScript, or even downloaded the source. So I still wasn't sure exactly how far one could go and still have something count as a new language... but I'm pretty sure that I've gone farther than that in I7, and I've never gone anywhere with any other language, so this would be an "Anything but I7" comp for me.

So, never mind.


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:51 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2008 1:13 pm
Posts: 66
Location: Seattle
matt w wrote:
Well, what I meant was something like this: I've had the thought "hey, let's try programming a game in ChoiceScript!", but I haven't actually ever programmed a game in ChoiceScript, or even downloaded the source. So I still wasn't sure exactly how far one could go and still have something count as a new language... but I'm pretty sure that I've gone farther than that in I7, and I've never gone anywhere with any other language, so this would be an "Anything but I7" comp for me.
Yeah, that sounds right. I guess a better way to say it is simply this: experience a new-to-you IF programming language in a substantive way. I'd downloaded ADRIFT Generator, for example, but never actually written so much as a room description with it. I've toyed with the idea of ChoiceScript, but not gotten so far as to code anything up. I've downloaded Curveship, miraculously gotten it to run, and looked at some sample code, but never tried to code anything for myself. Any of those would be valid for me for this Speed. Just be honest with yourself - the purpose is to break you out of your comfort zone a wee bit, and to experience something novel.


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:02 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:25 pm
Posts: 390
Location: Sweden
I've now started a project in Inform 7. If I'll finish it remains to be seen, but I'll try.


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:51 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 20, 2009 5:28 pm
Posts: 39
Location: Indianapolis, Indiana, USA
I've started and now have a few objects and two rooms :)

Getting ready to do the hard part, adding a couple simple puzzles and then a semi-decent (or at least good by Speed-IF definition) NPC.


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:49 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:07 am
Posts: 414
Location: Baltimore
Oh wow, I hadn't even heard of ChoiceScript before.

Thanks for this. I think I might actually release a game for once!


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:16 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 23, 2007 3:24 pm
Posts: 169
The deadline is near... my project is almost done!


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:20 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:07 am
Posts: 414
Location: Baltimore
When it comes to distributing ChoiceScript, would I just need to zip up the entirety of the /web folder?


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Feedfetcher, ralphmerridew, SimonChris and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group