intfiction.org

The Interactive Fiction Community Forum
It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:32 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:53 pm 

What bewilders me is why anyone is bothering to respond to ultimate about this at all. To quote from his self-introduction over in the general chat board:

Quote:
My username is ultimate (no pun intended!) and I'm new to this forum. Some of you may already have me on their radar.

I like to prank people, like the guys from FridayNightCranks do, but I don't do pranks on the phone but on internet forums and communities. Check'em out. They are really funny!

A friend of mine, who is a fan of interactive fiction, told me I should use my pranking skills to try to prank intfiction.org with some unusual posts without being called a "troll". It turns out I failed. This community is really hard to prank with.

Just wanted to inform (no pun intended!) you, so you don't wonder what my past posts were all about.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:31 pm 

emshort wrote:
What bewilders me is why anyone is bothering to respond to ultimate about this at all.

I think, if his trolling differed significantly from the posts of many others on the subject (those who aren't avowed trolls, I mean), that might help :(

On the other hand, it does mean he's failing at his goal as he describes it, since his posts are not at all "unusual," just echoes of what others are already saying.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:09 pm 

David Whyld wrote:
... the forum’s resident mud-slinger.

Hey mud-slinger, what about the ring trick? You know that one?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LzZhida ... ure=fvwrel

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:13 pm 

emshort wrote:
What bewilders me is why anyone is bothering to respond to ultimate about this at all. To quote from his self-introduction over in the general chat board:

Very smart you digged that up. But this time it is not a prank.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:50 pm 

matt w wrote:
Oooh, I propose UpdateComp. Everyone submits a game, then halfway through they have to submit an update that starts out the same but goes somewhere totally different. You could include some sort of Speed-IF style key that has to be included in the update to prevent people from cheating by preparing their updates in advance.

Awesome! But updates should have to be according to the suggestions from reviewers (who would share the shame or glory of updated entries). It could run as a kind of marathon until nobody could be bothered to submit yet another update.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:55 pm 

matt w wrote:
Oooh, I propose UpdateComp. Everyone submits a game, then halfway through they have to submit an update that starts out the same but goes somewhere totally different.

When I read this, I pictured a "Whos Line Is It Anyway" style contest; write a short game (in, say, a week), then you have one week to make it into a Western, then another week to make it into a comedy sketch, then horror, etc. - where the 'genre' is chosen from a hat (full of suggestions, as noted by Felix).

Four-five weeks of heavy coding and game-writing... Now that could be fun :-D

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:18 pm 

Felix wrote:
matt w wrote:
Oooh, I propose UpdateComp. Everyone submits a game, then halfway through they have to submit an update that starts out the same but goes somewhere totally different. You could include some sort of Speed-IF style key that has to be included in the update to prevent people from cheating by preparing their updates in advance.

Awesome! But updates should have to be according to the suggestions from reviewers (who would share the shame or glory of updated entries). It could run as a kind of marathon until nobody could be bothered to submit yet another update.

Well, only so long as the reviewers aren't providing constructive criticism. I don't want to see gradual improvements, I want to see "OK, now make Victor Pavlovich run off and join the circus."

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:54 pm 

matt w wrote:
Well, only so long as the reviewers aren't providing constructive criticism.

Now I'm envisaging the competition as a Speed-IF interpretation of The Extraordinary Adventures of Baron Munchausen. "But my dear Baroness, surely you must be mistaken in saying I could make no impression upon the lunar surface. For as everyone knows, the moon is made of green cheese."

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:50 pm 

Or something like a gradual version of the blurb-based Speed IF. The author submits a short work, a critic says, "oh, I wish it were more like [such and such ridiculous thing]," the author adds another location or NPC or puzzle, rinse and repeat... We could even have the authors trade works with each other after each round of reviews, to bring in an IF Whispers element.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:00 pm 

Emerald wrote:
Now I'm envisaging the competition as a Speed-IF interpretation of The Extraordinary Adventures of Baron Munchausen. "But my dear Baroness, surely you must be mistaken in saying I could make no impression upon the lunar surface. For as everyone knows, the moon is made of green cheese."

Ah, memories.

I remember sitting behind Derek Pearcy, looking over his shoulder while he was doing some graphic production on that thing for James ... he was rhapsodizing about Gustave Doré and how they got away without needing an art budget :)