intfiction.org

The Interactive Fiction Community Forum
It is currently Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:55 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
 Post subject: Re: Ectocomp reviews
PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:43 am 

J. J. Guest wrote:
maybe Lea just ran out of time? Three hours really isn't much time to do much, but maybe she wasn't able to plan things out beforehand?

Yeah, for what it's worth, my dev process went something like this: I told a group of people that we should all make Ectocomp games together, at a particular time. I promptly became too busy to do any pre-planning. At the designated time, I spent about a half hour on a go-nowhere plot idea (potentially interesting, but with a lot of pitfalls if I gave it less than my full attention, which, well) and approximately half the remaining time in small chunks helping my friends use the authoring systems they'd chosen to work in -- for most of them, it was their first time writing IF.

I submitted it anyway because I promised one of those friends that I would, and because I think it's good for my soul to occasionally put embarrassing work in front of the public, at least in a not-entirely-serious context.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:37 pm 

Lea: Is there another solution besides:

Spoiler: show
falling asleep and waking up again?

Some other folks seemed to mention figuring out how to navigate but I did not.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:51 pm 

Nope.
Spoiler: show
And the maze is pretty much just overrides of "going," so I'd be pretty surprised if there's any other way out.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 3:52 pm 

Confidential to David Whyld: Holding the stone door up with the crook was not the intended solution, but it makes total sense so I've attempted to implement it in the post-comp release.

Non-confidential to everybody who submitted reviews: Thanks very much for your reviews!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:25 am 

Fifth place, yay! Thanks everyone who played the game, and especially those who - unlike me - found the time to review the games and vote!

J. J. Guest wrote:
I didn't know much about the rivalry between Claude Debussy and Maurice Ravel before I played this game, but it did inspire me not only to read about their relationship but also to listen to their musical styles for comparison.

To be entirely frank, I knew nothing about the rivalry between Claude Debussy and Maurice Ravel before I wrote this game.

Healy wrote:
I also found it hard to picture the situation regarding the window and the pavement. I just couldn't get how a window would be too dangerous to jump out of but safe anough that the only thing you need to break your fall is a piano stool.

This is a silly puzzle, no question. If/when I get around to a post-comp release, I'll probably kick it out in favour of something hopefully more interesting.

Healy wrote:
Is there some kind of in-joke going on with zombie Debussey? Zombies + dead historical figure = a certain strain of internet humor, so I was wondering about that.

Not really. The title came first, and then I designed the rest of the game more or less instantly. "Zombies" just happened to be the first thing that came to mind after "Dead Pavane".

Speed Post-Mortem

What Went Right:
Small scope was achievable in the four and a half hours between me deciding to enter Ectocomp and the Ectocomp deadline. I actually only ended up spending about two and a half hours writing the game, including Ryan quickly playing through it and giving it a thumbs up. The game even ended up pretty polished, apart from one truly heinous bug. PC's voice also came through well. Most importantly, the title is fantastic, A+++++++

What Went Wrong:
Only giving myself four and a half hours to design and implement the game from scratch meant it ended up awfully thin in places. Puzzles in particular suffered from being in every case The First Thing That Came To Mind. Worst of all, I did not have time for any non-Wikipedia-based research, so the prose fails to serve up the clever classical composer in-jokes promised by the fantastic title.

In Conclusion:
At least I finally found an excuse to use that fantastic title for something.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:57 am 

Afterward wrote:
Confidential to David Whyld: Holding the stone door up with the crook was not the intended solution, but it makes total sense so I've attempted to implement it in the post-comp release.

I was actually trying to block the wheel with the crook (jam it in the spokes, maybe?) as opposed to blocking the door with it.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:01 am 

Healy wrote:
Re: You are a Blob!
David Whyld wrote:
A mildly amusing introduction followed by lots of nonsensical words repeated, clickable options that didn't make sense and, well, not a whole lot of game to be honest.

Okay, this has come up enough that I really have to ask: Did any of you guys playing the game notice all the links in the description of the first node? They contain notes on the Blobbish language (written by a highly trained Blobbese linguist).

Off hand, I don't remember the links but I think I kind of wrote off the game as a joke entry once I saw all the Blobbish language. If it was in some kind of code, it might have been better if the game translated it for me.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8