intfiction.org

The Interactive Fiction Community Forum
It is currently Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:49 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Post-Comp Releases
PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:52 am 

Hello CYOA/MCA fans!

First off all I'd like to thank all those of you who played this year's IFComp entry of mine The Challenge and who gave my game a higher rating than 1. I appreciate that. Personally I think my game deserved to be on a higher place than just 34th of 35, because of my effort with the 3D graphics, even if the game itself was very short again.

As stated at the end of the game a post-comp release is currently in the making and will be released as soon as possible. If I don't make it this month it will be released sometime in December.

And for all those of you who played and liked my previous IFComp games, such as Project Delta, Trap Cave and/or Dead Hotel, I have a surprise... I'm also working on post-comp versions of Dead Hotel and Trap Cave.

Here's a quick outlook for what to expect:

1. The Challenge (Post-Comp) is going to have the final building area added and more story what's all about.

2. Dead Hotel (Post-Comp) is going to be released as the same old-skool Windows-type App as it was in IFComp 2011, but it will have better writing, a few more areas, more zombies to kill and better multiple endings overall. The main story will remain the same though. You start in the stinky hotel room and have to fight your way to outside to reach your car and escape. But there will be more to explore and to do, so you can play the game for maybe 10 to 15 minutes or more, depending on your choices.

3. Trap Cave (Post-Comp) is going to be the same game as it was written in German language for IFComp 2009, but now it will be completely translated to English aswell, and with a different interface than it was with the old DOS-based Node-X Interpreter.

Once each game is finished it will be uploaded and released on my current website, so you can find all the post-comp releases there. As for my very first entry Project Delta for IFComp 2008, there will be no post-comp release of that game, but I may write a new game which deals with some Area 51 or UFO story in IFComp 2014 or other future competitions. But I haven't planned anything specific in that regard yet.

Last but not least, I'd also like to emphasize that I do care about my CYOA/MCA games and that I have a real interest to create an enjoyable adventure game one day which people like to play. I know it may be a bit strange that now after so many years I decided to release post-comp versions of my older aventure games, but I'm in the mood for this. Ofcourse, as some of you may noticed, writing text adventure games is not the only thing I do. I also create and release electronic music on my netlabel bitgroove. Thus I'm busy with a lot of other things and not always have enough time to focus on game programming, game design and writing. I also have a life outside the internet which keeps me busy aswell. However, now in the Winter 2013/2014 period I think I can spare more time for more releases.

In that sense stay tuned for more!

Greets

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Post-Comp Releases
PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:46 pm 

Your hard work was visible, and I found The Challenge interesting to play, but I believe The Challenge ranked as low as it did because it was not a completed game. (I seem to recall the same was true for Dead Hotel.) IFComp is supposed to be a competition for polished, extensively tested, full length games. Introcomp would have been a much better competition for The Challenge, since Introcomp is a competition specifically intended for partial entries.

I suggest that you take your winter time to focus on just one game, instead of adding another chunk onto three different games. Flesh out your chosen game until it's a full experience with a beginning, middle, and end. If you focus on a graphics-heavy game like The Challenge, you might imagine that you're trying for Steam Greenlight or another commercial indie distributor as your quality goal (or even follow through!) That would help bring your work up from "demo" to "game", and I think whatever piece you focus on would be much better received as a result.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:00 pm 

Ambitious but if you think you're still interested in expanding your old projects it might help inspire you for next years comp. When I played the Challenge I thought you'd had an interesting idea to work with, but then it just sort of ended abruptly.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:42 pm 

Alex K wrote:
Personally I think my game deserved to be on a higher place than just 34th of 35, because of my effort with the 3D graphics, even if the game itself was very short again.

I think part of the problem might be the inclusion of 3D graphics in a text adventure. It's a bit like saying you wrote a novel and were disappointed more people didn't like it because it had a really cool picture on the cover.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:56 pm 

I would have loved the addition of 3D graphics to an actual IF game! The Challenge just ... isn't one yet.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:37 pm 

Just tried The Challenge. I definitely think a full multiple-choice story with a 3D graphical model and supporting text could be a great experience. Plenty of room for RPG-like encounters with monsters and such, too.

I feel like I'm in a similar position to you. I released an untested, essentially unfinished game that I think could have potential to be good if I only had the motivation to polish it. I care about my game too, but caring isn't the same as doing. It's hard to begin a re-write when the process seems so vast and daunting.

Well, good luck.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:46 am 

The Challenge has - 3D graphics aside - one more interesting technical feature: It does not use any JavaScript...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:37 pm 

It sounds like an interesting experiment to make a first-person 3D adventure game. It has been attempted by the greats with success (Cyan; Myst) and failure (Sierra; Gabriel Knight, Kings Quest). It would be interesting to see what talented authors could create, especially if it were released as an authoring system.

Some things you might want to consider:

What exactly is the intention of traversing in 3D? "Plenty of room for RPG Encounters with Monsters" sounds like simple RPG than a CYOA. The audience for IF does overlap some, but realize that many people are text aficionados because they *don't* like moving and fighting in real time. If you want to make an RPG, it's probably easier to layer some menu/text branches over a good existing RPG system than to force a 3D engine into a text system.

To make a 3D adventure game work, the graphics would need to be more than an afterthought with default brick textures. You don't want just a simple rat maze that people walk through to trigger a pop up window with text telling them that they're in some fantastic crystal castle when every wall is at 90 degree angles. Not that the graphics can't be simple, you're just working against the biggest advantage that text has, and that is to describe things that are either impossible or not feasible to create in real life or on film - or in this case model in 3D. If you take the vista-description part out of the text adventure, you've got some fancy dialogue trees and popups saying "Here's a lever. Do you A: Pull it. B: Push it. C: Have a sandwich?" What are you describing in text if you are modeling the world?

Nearly anyone with writing skills and the right kind of planning ability can write a text adventure. Not everyone has the ability or desire to create modeled 3D environments. This type of system feels like it'd be limited to one-room games or a claustrophobic dungeon crawl. See Kerkerkruip for an eminently fun and playable example of a randomized dungeon crawl in text with map graphics that works. Reading the descriptions of the goings-on in that game and how they change is the fun part. Playing it in real-time 3D with the text omitted might across as a sparse and amateurish whack-em-up.

That said, I'd love to be proven wrong and enjoy an adventure game that had emergent exploration based on a physics and world model. LIke a tomb exploration without enemies jumping at you.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:58 pm 

HanonO wrote:
It sounds like an interesting experiment to make a first-person 3D adventure game. It has been attempted by the greats with success (Cyan; Myst) and failure (Sierra; Gabriel Knight, Kings Quest...

There's a first-person 3D King's Quest?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:38 am 

Mask of Eternity. On lookup it was first and third person.