intfiction.org

The Interactive Fiction Community Forum
It is currently Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:08 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 3:53 pm 

robinjohnson wrote:
For the record, I would not expect Detectiveland to be eligible for ParserComp. If someone were crazy, stupid, masochistic and/or brilliant enough to write a parser in Twine - or a convincing thing that pretends to be a parser, though I'm not sure what the difference is - it's not up to me of course, but I'd be disappointed if it wasn't allowed. (And I don't think Parsercomp's listing of some sensible parser authoring systems implicitly forbids it.)

Detectiveland has rooms and inventory and mobile NPCs. But this only make it (very) parserlike. It just doesn't have a command prompt. But what if versificator2 did have an optional command prompt? If Detectiveland, or a game like it, had a command prompt it could be entered in ParserComp as a regular parser game.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 4:17 pm 

heartless zombie wrote:
robinjohnson wrote:
Detectiveland has rooms and inventory and mobile NPCs. But this only make it (very) parserlike. It just doesn't have a command prompt. But what if versificator2 did have an optional command prompt? If Detectiveland, or a game like it, had a command prompt it could be entered in ParserComp as a regular parser game.

This is true. You could stick a VERY simple two-word parser on the front of the game as it stands without changing much. To make it passable for most parser players these days, I think, you'd need to implement synonyms, disambiguation, verbs with prepositions and indirect objects, multiple commands...

I'm going to release the engine after the comp closes, so if anyone wants to have a go at this, they'll be able to. But other than as a technical challenge, I don't really see why they would.

Tweets: @rdouglasjohnson

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 5:07 pm 

robinjohnson wrote:
HanonO wrote:
While Twine and other choice-based engines will accept text and use it in the story, it is just a variable input and is not being "parsed" in the technical sense. While some talented Twine programmers could do some nifty tricks to simulate that the game is parsing their input, it would still be simulation of an actual parser.

Well, you could say that Inform 7 merely "simulates" that the game is parsing the input, since it doesn't have any knowledge of what a brass lantern actually is, but that way lies philosophy.

Our computers are not running programs but "simulating" running programs. I get it.
Quote:
Quote:
Robin Johnson has stated that he wrote his own parser in Java for Detectiveland, and pressing the buttons actually creates a sentence that goes into the transcript. He can verify if this input is actually being parsed or if each button command is built as 1:1 recognition

Quote:
(Javascript, not Java.)

Sorry. I'm one of those elderly people who still says the DVR is "taping" my shows.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:27 am 

I'm excited to see so much enthusiasm!

With regard to parser games vs. parserlike games:

Many games support a world model without actually using a parser, and in that way are parserlike. But it's specifically the typed, command-prompt parser - and its illusion of infinite choice, which doesn't exist in parserlike games - that I want to support with this event.

The vast majority of IF events and game jam events - IFComp, Spring Thing, IntroComp, Ectocomp, Global Game Jam, Ludum Dare, etc, etc - welcome parserlike games. Parserlike games are more accessible to authors and uninitiated players alike - which means that, in large scale game dev events, more parserlike games are written than parser games.

This is why I wish to reserve this single event for parser games only.

I'll open a ParserComp thread with more details in Competitions once IFComp has closed.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:17 am 

Another ParserComp? I'm very excited! Though I won't start planning anything out yet; going to wait for the theme this time...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:07 pm 

caleb wrote:
Another ParserComp? I'm very excited! Though I won't start planning anything out yet; going to wait for the theme this time...

Good call. ;)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:13 pm 

I have a great idea for a theme! "Terminators."

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 1:11 am 

caleb wrote:

I am too. I'd like to try to review, again, if nothing else.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 10:05 am 

matt w wrote:
I have a great idea for a theme! "Terminators."

Somehow, no.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:04 am 

Oooh awesome! There's going to be another Parsercomp this year? Super excited!! I can't wait (and I for one am really glad that there's a competition just for parser games, please keep it just as it is!)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next