Grotesque 0.9.5 released

I’m happy to announce the release of Grotesque 0.9.5. Grotesque is an interactive fiction library manager for GNU/Linux. It allows you to easily explore your collection by author, genre, year of release, etc.

This is a minor bug fix release, resolving two issues:

• There was an unintentional hard-dependency on the gnome icon theme. Icon usage (for buttons in the user interface) should now be a lot more general. It should at least work with the gnome, Adwaita, and Oxygen icon sets. Please let me know if you still have problems.
  • The default window size has been increased. Previously, it would open with too small of dimensions, causing some elements of the user interface to be truncated. The new default size avoids this. Note: the application saves the window dimensions when it closes, so this should only affect the first time you launch the program.

Grotesque requires Python 2, python-gobject, and GTK+ 3.

Download
Website

Also, I’ve been hard at work for the last two months on improving the underlying database and restructuring the code for the upcoming 0.10 release. It is a lot of work but it will be well worth the effort. This will allow me to more easily fix some long-standing bugs and to start adding new features that I’ve been wanting all along (this is also why 0.9.5 doesn’t contain fixes for a lot of bugs; those will come after the very necessary infrastructure updates).

Thanks for continuing to work on this! I really like Grotesque.

Note: I had to release a 0.9.5.1 because I accidentally missed a single icon that was still depending on gnome-icon-theme. :blush: This release only fixes that one problem, so if you didn’t have any issues with icons not displaying properly on 0.9.4, there’s no need to update.

Thanks! I’m sorry that I left it untouched for so long, but between finishing a PhD, finding a job for afterwards, moving countries, etc etc I couldn’t really dedicate time to it. Hopefully I can finally start to iron out all the bugs that have been lingering for the past couple years.