Trizbort Update

Most of you are at least somewhat familiar with the mapping tool Trizbort, created by Genstein. Back in 2013, on this thread (https://intfiction.org/t/trizbort-is-now-open-source/5147/1) he announced his decision to opensource the code. Then in March 2014, on the same thread, forum user wertle, made some updates (which turned out to be pretty useful) and fixed a few bugs. Then nothing, there seemed to be little movement on new development. This last December, I asked my writing group if they felt there would be interest in making some updates. I received some great encouragement and Andrew Schultz (aschultz) specifically stepped up with some great ideas and feature requests. So work began.

Today I’m announcing a new beta release. I incorporated a few other branches that were made (including those from wertle) and many suggestions from Andrew, who became the primary tester. Main new features include:

• Copy and paste (from wertle’s branch)
  • Fix for large maps (from wertle’s branch)
  • Support for Regions - You can specify room colors in any case, but regions make it easy and allow you to group rooms together.
  • SmartSave - quick shortcut to save PDF & default image type to base directory.
  • Join room - shortcut to join two selected rooms based on position on map.
  • Many updates and fixes in the export of code (regions only supported in I7 export)
  • UI enhancements - Beginning to add context menus, tooltips on rooms, improvements on keyboard functionality and shortcuts
  • Quite a few bugfixes.

Link to zip file: bit.ly/trizbortjl

Simply unzip the file to a folder and run the executable (make sure all files included in the zip file are in the executable’s folder).

Andrew and I are making plans for more features and improvements so please if you have ideas let us know. You can also check out our bug / feature tracking at lautzofif.myjetbrains.com

Andrew is currently working on updating the documentation (with the blessing of Genstein) and he has put up a draft at dropbox.com/s/x85lk5dpkie7d … shtml?dl=0 and is of course open to suggestions to improve the documentation (still working on getting images updated).

If you’re so inclined you can see the source at github.com/JasonLautzenheiser/trizbort

Again, remember this is beta software. Please let us know of any bugs that you find or features you think will be useful.

Excellent, thanks :slight_smile:

Great news, thanks!

I still long for a Mac version. I’ve had no luck (and I’m a klutz) with Wine.

Trizbort works fine for me in wine on Linux Mint, but I haven’t been able to use the auto-mapping function…

Just released another update that fixes a few bugs and adds some new features. Zip file with executables are at bit.ly/trizbortjl

The main focus of this version was bug fixes, which I knocked out quite a few. I also tried to focus on making the app a bit more user friendly for keyboard users. Check out the included revisions.txt (in the download) for a full list of changed items

As always, send bugs or suggestions to me personally or post them here for discussion. Still have a list of things to do, so more work coming. And if you feel so inclined, the source is hosted on GitHub at bit.ly/TrizbortSource

Enjoy!

Another update is out there this evening, which can be found at the normal link bit.ly/trizbortjl

Version 1.5.8.5 focused on adding a few features and fixing up a few bugs that have been around for quite a while. Look at the revisions.txt in the download file for a complete list.

Features include:
++ quickly inserting a room between two other connected rooms (just select a connection between two rooms and hit R to add one in between)
++ can now resize multiple selected rooms at once with the keyboard. (Alt+Ctrl+[Arrow Keys])
++ The smart save is a bit more customizable as to what is actually saved. Look in the App Settings.
++ In/Out and Up/Down now correctly exports to proper source code (this should work in all 3 supported languages)
++ You can now add subtitles to rooms (open up room properties)
++ Added a zoom level textbox in the status bar, to more finely control the zoom level.
++ White can now properly be chosen as a custom room color (open up room properties and go to the color tab)
++ Added additional 2nd fill color styles. They are slightly redundant, but seems more complete now.
++ continued improvement to the user experience for keyboard users.

Bug fixes include (just highlighting some of the bigger ones):
– Fixed F11 crash when automapping was turned off.
– fixed exception during copy/paste of multiple rooms and connections.
– fixed some color display issues on selected rooms with object text inside the room.
– fixed display error when adding rooms that were none standard in size.

As always, send bugs or suggestions to me personally or post them here for discussion. You can also find the latest bug / feature list at trello.com/b/avZe0VPG/trizbort

If you are interested, the source is hosted on GitHub at bit.ly/TrizbortSource

Enjoy

Just a quick note that I’ve opened up the issues on the github repository (bit.ly/TrizbortSource). If you’ve got any issues or feature requests, that would be another good place to put them.

Getting ready for another small release soon, but you can always get the latest source from GitHub.

Oh. And Andrew has merged the latest documentation updates.

Jason

Version 1.5.8.7 has been released.

Executable: bit.ly/trizbortjl1587 (note this link has changed, links from earlier posts may not get you the latest version)
Source: bit.ly/TrizbortSource

This release includes a few nice features:

1. Individual rooms can now have different border styles (including no border at all).
  2. Individual connections can now have their own colors.
  3. The automapper now handles Undo better (Thanks to matthiaswatkins - github.com/matthiaswatkins)

This release also did some more bug squashing.

The other nice thing included in this release is the documentation, thanks to Andrew Schultz who has been working hard on keeping the docs up to date with the changes we’ve been making (and testing the interim releases and coming up with new feature suggestions)

Please check it out on github and offer up some suggestions and let us know if you find any issues.

It’s great to see the automapper being worked on, I thought it had been given up. :slight_smile:

I guess I was never really sure anyone ever used it, but it could be improved upon and we’ve got some things on the list.

Does anyone use the export to I7 (or Tads or I6 for that matter)?

Jason

I’ve used the ‘export to I7’ option but after the first save, I don’t necessarily want to overwrite the story.ni file (or save it in another location) as I may have worked on it already. So one feature I’d request is instead of saving a file, the export to I7 option (or a new one) simply opens the text in Notepad (or more properly, the system’s default text editor).

I tend to create a few rooms, work on them, create more rooms, work on them, and so on, so I realise that many may not find this useful.

Should I add this as an issue on GitHub?

That sounds like a good idea, at least to have as an option. Yes, please add it into Github so it’s on our radar.

Thanks

Another update has been released. 1.5.8.8 is out with the following new features:

• Export code (I7, I6, and TADS) to clipboard.
  • ‘W’ key to swap objects in two selected rooms.
  • Ability to start processing from the end of a transcript (@matthiaswatkins)
  • Automap can now process multiword special commands to provide better flexibility to prevent keyword collisions between certain games. (@matthiaswatkins)
  • General cleanup and speed improvements in the automapping (@matthiaswatkins)
  • sample folder contain maps of real games (created by @andrewschultz)
  • updated documentation (@andrewschultz)

You can get the download now on the github release page (github.com/JasonLautzenheiser/t … ag/1.5.8.8)

Also I’ve created a new website for the project (trizbort.com).

Let me know if you find any issues or have any suggestions for future releases.

Don’t remove code export! That’s my main use for Trizbort.

That won’t be removed, in fact that’s one area I hope to expand and improve upon, so if you have suggestions…

Impossible request: implement doors. (I think I already asked this).

I’d also like if there were a way to add objects and differentiate between containment and support. Maybe something like:

(Objects)

Statue
Table -
     Flowerpot o
          Bouquet

Platform -
     Chair -
          Santa Claus +

Large nesting doll o
     Medium nesting doll o
          Small nesting doll

Charles +
     Wallet o
          Money
          Credit card
  • is a person
    o is a container
  • is a supporter.
    No symbol is a thing.

Time for another Trizbort release. Version 1.5.8.9 is out and available for download. This releases adds a few new features that I think are pretty handy and fixes a few issues with the automapper (thanks for Marshall Tenner Winter for asking me to beta test his WIP which helped me find these few issues with it.)

• Form to show some basic map statistics. We can expand no this in the future.
  • Swap room names with Ctrl+W
  • Swap room formats/fills with Shift+W
  • Swap room regions with Alt+W
  • Automapper does a bit better job of ignoring the game title.
  • Automapper handles room names that end in paranethesis a little better.
  • Fixed the copy / paste which was broken in some cases.
  • Setting a connection to plain (P), now sets the color back to default and removes the middle text if any.
  • Added some special select commands under Edit->Select Special. Quickly allows the user to select special items (all rooms with objects for example).[/list]

As always, send me any issues that you may find or forward me on any feature requests you may have.

Hanon, I just realized I never replied to your last post. I have both of your requests on my list, still trying to figure out the best way to handle doors.

I proper Love Trizbort, export to I7 is excellent, looking forward to using export to clipboard to expand my projects.

Cheers :mrgreen:

Thanks! I like the export to clipboard feature as it makes it easy to whip up a quick portion of a map and get some quick code.

Let me know if you find any issues or think of new features you’d like to see.