Parchment and html collaboration.

Help this poor guy on a subject he knows nothing about.

Is there a way for Parchment (or Inform) to dialog with a web page?

i.e.: I want the browser to display graphics on a new div when something happens ingame.

Is it even remotely possibile?

I’m a bit out of my depth, but it sounds like you:

a) Either want to use Flexible Windows and create a new “window” at some point in the game to display a graphic; or

b) Will want to use Vorple.

Hi Peter.

Yes, one of those sound good, but I don’t think Flexible Windows will let me show graphics in a web page (in Parchment, that is).

As for Vorple, well, I guess that is the answer, after all…

I’ll check it. thanks!

Zarf is in the process of updating Quixe to add graphics support, so hopefully it will be very possible very soon!

This also seems like it might be of interest.

Wow! That was really what I was looking for!

Thanks a lot all of you (as usual!)!

Quest 5 can do calls to/from Javascript functions and embed html in its output from within its interface. This facility is built in, unlike with any of the other interpreters.

One other question. Sorry for being dumb, but I’m really outta my water, here:

• Can Vorple work with Quixe alone? Because I’m not very happy about a thing in parchment. I’ve put up the regular out-of-the-box play.html page from Inform7 and tweaked the .css to make it look like I want, and I’m pretty much happy with the performance etc. I don’t know if I can a) tweak Parchment appearance in a similar (easy) way and b) have the same performance (parchment looks pretty slow on some machine, but dunno if it’s Safari’s fault.)

Anyway: I’m at work now. Will check everything tonight on my laptop. Thanks for the help!

Jeff Panici fork of quixe is an open engine that allows you to make your own web app and layout.

–dc

Thanks David! Checking right now.

It’s raw. I’ve been meaning to create a sample app using Angular, and have some of the bits done, but have other priorities at the moment.

The play-fyre.html file will show how it works.

You currently have to view the output through the javascript console, correct?

Yes. The intention is that you’d write those values to div’s using whatever templating you choose (Angular, React, JQuery, ??)

quixe-channels.png

I really like the channel IO concept. I am nothing like a web-designer, just have a passing (and somewhat obsolete) familiarity with the relevant technologies. I may take a stab at writing a wrapper for quixe-fyre that at least stuffs the standard output channels into html tags. (In the 15-20 minutes a day I have to undertake such projects.)

I have a more ambitious hope…that I can build I7 extensions that encapsulate all of the JS/HTML needed, like a web component, that gets pushed to the UI.

So you could:

Include “Quixe Channels Chained Choices”.

Which would offer the complete interface for CYOA boxes, getting pushed up as the user selects commands.

Include “Quixe Channels Status Bar”.

Would provide the elements for a standard status bar, but attached to the top of the browser window, not a part of anything else in the story context.

Some day I’ll get to all of this…