intfiction.org

The Interactive Fiction Community Forum
It is currently Mon May 29, 2017 1:56 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:42 pm 

As part of the lurch toward a new release of Gargoyle, I realized it would be useful to have MIME types defined for as many of the game types as is feasible, so Gargoyle can easily be associated with all its supported types. But there are other users than just Gargoyle which could make use of such MIME types, so I'd really like to see if a consensus of sorts can be reached on MIME types. For systems conforming to freedesktop.org, this would consist of an XML file for use in /usr/share/mime. I'll distribute one with Gargoyle but if possible, I'd like it to just be a copy of an accepted, canonical version.

From what I've found, there has been some work toward MIME types. The IF Archive's .htaccess file has:

• application/x-zmachine
  • application/x-tads
  • application/x-t3vm-image
  • application/x-glulx
  • application/x-blorb

QTads includes its own XML mime definition with the same MIME types for TADS.

The “file” implementation included with most modern Unix-like operating systems defines, in addition to the above, application/x-adrift.

I've created a proof-of-concept which includes these plus others, which I'm attaching here. I'm looking for feedback/additions/changes, in hopes a common accepted MIME collection can be created.

Attachments:
if.xml [2.54 KiB]
Downloaded 11 times
 Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:10 pm 

.gblorb/.glb and .zblorb/.zlb should be these MIME types:

application/x-blorb;profile="zcode"
application/x-blorb;profile="glulx"

...if the profile qualifier makes sense. If not, application/x-blorb is most correct -- you're representing the format, not the contents.

The file signature for Blorb (including gblorb, zblorb) is FORM in bytes 0-3 and IFRS in bytes 8-11. Not sure if your XML file can represent that.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:30 pm 

I've never seen a "profile" in the wild and would just as soon use application/x-gblorb (is that what "x-glulx" is supposed to represent?) as a separate type from x-blorb. I think it's an implementation detail that gblorb has anything to do with ".blorb" zblorbs, and it seems important for interpreters to be able to say "I support zblorbs and not gblorbs" (or vice versa) in a way that every MIME handler will understand.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:47 pm 

I'd rather not introduce "application/x-gblorb", which is currently not used by anyone.

In practice, we're talking about Gargoyle which *does* support both Z-code and Glulx. So my plan is not going to cause a problem. There are interpreters which only support one or the other, but I don't know of any which try to distinguish based solely on MIME type.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:52 pm 

Is x-glulx used for gblorbs?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:12 pm 

zarf wrote:
.gblorb/.glb and .zblorb/.zlb should be these MIME types:

application/x-blorb;profile="zcode"
application/x-blorb;profile="glulx"

...if the profile qualifier makes sense. If not, application/x-blorb is most correct -- you're representing the format, not the contents.

The file signature for Blorb (including gblorb, zblorb) is FORM in bytes 0-3 and IFRS in bytes 8-11. Not sure if your XML file can represent that.

The Blorb entries were the biggest sticking point I saw from a more global perspective: I can see a Z-machine interpreter not wanting to say it supports application/x-blorb so that (for example) Glulx files aren't associated with it. As far as I can tell, the freedesktop MIME XML spec doesn't allow anything like the profile setting, although finding good documentation on it is difficult. From Gargoyle's perspective a global Blorb is fine since it least supports both Z-machine and Glulx files in Blorbs.

And it looks like multiple matches from disparate parts of the file are allowed for magic checking, so I'll be able to identify Blorb files by looking for FORM and IFRS as well.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:04 pm 

The TADS MIME types are here:

http://www.tads.org/t3doc/doc/techman/mediatypes.htm

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:51 pm 

cas wrote:
The Blorb entries were the biggest sticking point I saw from a more global perspective: I can see a Z-machine interpreter not wanting to say it supports application/x-blorb so that (for example) Glulx files aren't associated with it. As far as I can tell, the freedesktop MIME XML spec doesn't allow anything like the profile setting, although finding good documentation on it is difficult. From Gargoyle's perspective a global Blorb is fine since it least supports both Z-machine and Glulx files in Blorbs.

And it looks like multiple matches from disparate parts of the file are allowed for magic checking, so I'll be able to identify Blorb files by looking for FORM and IFRS as well.
According to the Blorb standard by Andrew Plotkin (version 2.0.4) the executable resource chunk can have any of these types:
'ZCOD': Z-code
'GLUL': Glulx
'TAD2': TADS 2
'TAD3': TADS 3
'HUGO': Hugo
'ALAN': Alan
'ADRI': ADRIFT
'LEVE': Level 9
'AGT ': AGT
'MAGS': Magnetic Scrolls
'ADVS': AdvSys
'EXEC': Native executable
Many of these have never been implemented, but ADRIFT Blorbs are quite common and have the extension *.blorb
In the ADRIFT section of the standard it says that ADRIFT Blorb files should use MIME type application/x-blorb;profile="adrift".

Last edited by saabie on Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:59 pm 

That was ambitious planning. Only ZCOD and GLUL have been used in real life.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:14 pm 

Quote:
I can see a Z-machine interpreter not wanting to say it supports application/x-blorb so that (for example) Glulx files aren't associated with it.

I can imagine it, but it's Good Enough(TM) if it *does* accept application/x-blorb and then displays an error message "Sorry, only Z-code Blorb files."

(I can equally well imagine a Blorb-editing app which looks for application/x-blorb because that covers all Blorb files. Admittedly, this is imaginary.)