Is there a place where to politely discuss this?

esr.ibiblio.org/?p=2122

(Note: it’s the kind of sofism I hate. But I have felt something on the same wavelenght, lately)

I don’t think someone can truly appreciate what it feels like to be on the receiving end of societal bigotry without having lived through it themselves. I suspect the author falls into that category. It’s also no surprise that people become upset when the status quo is in any way challenged, especially if they quite like white heterosexual male privilege as they happen to fit into that category themselves. Note: for the purpose of transparency, so do I.

I understand the feeling. I may have been subject to “societal bigotry”. But i don’t understand how attacking everybody could help any cause.

In the subject, you ask, “Is there a place where to politely discuss this?”

If this were on our Choice of Games forum, I would look at this topic in the same way that I would if somebody started a thread about an upcoming US presidential election, which is to say it’s inherently off-topic for an interactive-fiction forum, and tempers run high on this topic, so it’s at risk of becoming flamey.

But worse, this topic is extremely close to arguing about civility, especially if anybody makes the obvious step to say, “See? That thing you said right there; that’s an example of what I’m talking about.”

Having said that, we have had election threads in our off-topic section, with the understanding that the conversation will be moderated with a heavy hand. Typically, by the time we lock such threads, there is little/no appetite to reopen the thread, because the thread had gotten so ugly.

I feel like this forum is in a post-war calm, and I’m a bit surprised that anybody would want to start a new conversation about -isms right here, right now. M…maybe give it a few more weeks? :slight_smile:

If you want to discuss that blog post or the concept of kafkatraps it describes, the comments on the post itself are still open and active.

If you want to have a more general conversation about tactics like that, you could try the “rationalist community”, e.g. LessWrong.

If you want to discuss instances of this particular tactic being used on this board… what about taking it up directly with whoever you believe is doing it?

Let’s see if I can steer this to IF… can someone recommend a Kafkaesqe IF game?

Bureaucracy?

Not really. That one has an air of exasperation and hassle, not the oppression and grinding I expect of Kafka-inspired stuff. It’s a good game, but not Kafkaesque.

That Ian Finley game… Um, Kaged?

Jon

Not IF as most of us define us, but there’s a good Kafka-inspired point and click called Kafkamesto. What makes it Kafkaesque for me is not the Kafka fan references but the mysterious way the systems work, particularly they way they decidedly do not cooperate to get you to a decent end. For instance, most point and clicks make it impossible for you to lock yourself out of endings, but Kafkamesto has a character that you can give things (effectively destroying them), always as far as I can tell eliciting the response “Thank you but this is not what I need.” It’s the futility of this system that reminds me of Kafka.

For text games… The City by Sam “Aisle” Barlow? Dreadwine by Eric Eve? A problem with trying to make Kafkaesque IF is frustrating the player in an interesting way. (Dreadwine does this by having puzzle solutions that don’t fit together, as Emily Short describes in her review.)

Hahahahaa! I love how you are trolling me, on this. Ok, it’s fair. You found a way to point out my mistake without being nasty. Instead, being funny.

Thank you people. :slight_smile:

Let’s get back to IF.

Actually, I agree with the author of the linked article, and do not believe that they have demonstrated any sophism whatsoever. Of course, I say that as someone who is described as ‘privileged’, when I would receive less support if I became a survivor of rape or domestic violence than if I were a female. There’s also the fact that, as an Autistic person, I’m about as ‘privileged’ as a neurotypical black woman, especially since cognitive disabilities are invisible to the casual observer, unlike being non-white.