Tumblr?

So I finally gave in and made a tumblr. And now I’m lonely.

Anyone else here on tumblr? Post and I will follow you :slight_smile: Mine is at glassrat.tumblr.com/

Expect some combination of writing stuff/geek stuff/gamer stuff to come out of mine :slight_smile:

I have several tumblrs, heh, but the one most related to writing would be verityvirtue.tumblr.com, naturally :stuck_out_tongue:

Mine is at dougorleans.tumblr.com/ but it’s not IF-related, just cool stuff I run across.

Hey! Mine is http://zigtalk.tumblr.com. It’s not an IF/writing blog (I find the medium doesn’t come across well on the site) and instead it focuses on aesthetics, glow, retrofuturism, pixel art, pastel grunge, vaporwave, and the color pink.

Mine is another non-descript cool things I like blog. I keep my dashboard curated to make it my online “happy place” so most of the stuff I post is super-positive.

http://xavea.tumblr.com

I just started a tumblr that is a collection of spam comments I get for a post I made about the IF game, Spellcasting 101: omgspellcasting.tumblr.com/ . Some months ago, I changed that blog to moderated comments, but bless their hearts, they just keep writing them.

Anyhow, one of these days, I mean to start a proper IF tumblr with random IF screenshots and maps and things. I’ll follow all you fine people at that point.

I have an tumblr account. But I cannot figure out how to get a URL. Any help will be appreciate.

I have a Tumblr that I’ve set up with a custom domain. Recently someone asked me about getting a free website set up with a custom domain, and I recommended Tumblr, because they don’t make you subscribe to some premium plan in order to use a domain, although you can’t buy the domain through Tumblr.

Here’s an edited version of the email I sent to explain how to set up a custom domain for a Tumblr blog.

I’m not an expert at this, so my explanations might not be technically accurate, it worked for me. Also note that I wrote this email for someone who is less technical than I am, so I’m using vague terminology to describe how to do it. (In particular, I suspect that there might be security reasons for wanting to use a CNAME record rather than an A-record, but I don’t understand it myself.)

Buy your domain name. You need to use the domain registration service that you buy the domain from to create something called a DNS record, which will allow Tumblr to point your website at your domain.

Tumblr’s documentation for how to do this is here. That documentation is pretty lousy, so I’ll try to show you how to create an A-record with Google Domains.

As it says in the documentation link, there are two types of domain records you could create. If you wanted your website to be blog.whateverdontgohere.com or anything else with two periods in it instead of just one period, you would need to create a CNAME record. I ran into some kind of problem trying to create a CNAME record, so I just created an A-record instead. The A-record only allows you to attach the base domain. But I don’t really care, the basic domain is good enough for me for now. The only reason you would really need a CNAME record is if you want to do different major things, such as having a separate blog.whateverdontgohere.com and store.whateverdontgohere.com.

In Google Domains, click on the domain you bought from “My domains.” Then click the icon that looks like two switches. (It says “Configure DNS” when you hover the mouse over it.) The last section all the way at the bottom of that page is where you can create an A-record for Tumblr.

post image online

There are four fields, and then a blue submit button that is labeled “Add”. The first field should be empty except for the “@” character. The second field is a drop down list. It should only say “A”. If you click the dropdown, you can see the options for many other types of records including for CNAME, but make sure it only says “A”. The next field probably says “1H” by default, and you should leave it that way. The final field initially says “IPv4 address”. Type the 66.6.44.4 into that field. (This number came from the Tumblr documentation and is the specific address for Tumblr.) Click the “Add” button, and you should be done creating the record.

Now go back to Tumblr. From the Dashboard, click the person icon (technically the Account icon) and then click “Settings”. Click the name of the blog you’ve already created. The first field on the screen that appears is “Username”. Beneath that is a little switch that says “Use a custom domain”. Click that switch. Put the domain you bought in the field beneath it. Then click the link “Test domain” beneath that field. If all is well, it turns into the text “It’s good!” Then you can click “Save”, and everything should be working.

I created the my previously mentioned Tumblr site after noticing that a lot of people in the visual novel community had Tumblrs, as I was working on a website for Sunrise (which I offered as a prize in last year’s Spring Thing). I thought Tumblr might be a good platform for sharing work and collaborating creatively.

I have no IF content on it right now, but I would probably post there if I ever tried making IF again. I can’t really separate my interests. I was also aiming for the Tumblr site to be semi-professional, a quick way for me to show my best work across all the different things that I do. But I can’t separate pseudo-professional work from hobbyist work, and I can’t separate one hobby from another. It’s the same on my Blogger review blog, where I have mostly IF content but can’t restrict it to IF or any other specific interest, even though I try to keep it to reviews or review-like content. Everything seems tangled and interconnected to me, and I can’t easily separate one interest from everything else.