XUZ OS proposal

While creating my unix-like (Linux of course) workstation I have derived a nonexistent, if not just as or not less then ideal approach to zmachine if not IF development on a dedicated unix-like (any and not just Linux itself) but not in zmachine file standards but for the zmachine if not other IF development standards that can be developed on unix-like environment if not mono (ie ZILF, yes I know, ZILF fanboy tooting his horn, bite me guys :stuck_out_tongue: )…

Here is the criterion of XUZ Operating System (X.org-display Unix-like for Zmachine/ZILF development):

NOTE: This is not to be a general use OS, it’s a proposed IF development environmental OS, so if anything a VMed of this OS would be optimal even at that level.

1. Barebones unix-like that has direct access of wifi firmware and has a dedicated and highly supported repository (should always be a standard with any unix-like).

2. Desktop environment is limited to X.org WM’s (in this case I use OpenBox, I also use LXTerminal and Leafpad for my editing of sourcefiles, along with ROX as my file manager).

3. If license is allowable for free distro without commercial use of compiler software (save for the compiled file, I try to keep to licenses that are agreeable that I maintain rights to my storyfiles, even with ZILF’s license, I just have to use the VER/V-VERSION routines upon the main loop to maintain most of my rights and properties of that storyfile… Vaporware of course maintains rights to be attributed for his creating and my using of ZILF and those libraries required along with the use of V-VERSION to point out that attribution acknowledgement), consideration might be taken to append to XUZ OS, along with open sourced interpreters/vm’s that can read said storyfiles.

So far I can think a couple of linux based distros I can use, and maybe OpenBSD (due that most BSD’s are compatible with Linux out of the box so far, not sure to the extent of that compatibility but I hear it’s “pretty damn close…”). This I doubt is truly in coordination with the GNU or the FSF ideals… I am not really trying to touch those foundations, nor is this OS truly existent (save of what is vaguely a specter of it on my laptop for the moment :stuck_out_tongue: ), but it is a theory if not a proposal of something “fun to do” if not totally minimized from scratch but out of the box as well (puppy linux and opensuse studio is very possible with this as well). Pics of my active ubuntu/debian based XUZ OS will be shown either later on today if not sometime before the end of this coming Sunday.

What I have done so far… may not be too good of thing to come to reality… :stuck_out_tongue:
xuzos.png
2017-04-13-155049_1024x768_scrot.png

I also forgot about Gentoo and Arch Linux… Which I would definitely look into Arch for certain reasons. Mostly due to familiarity…

Someone was also working on a C ZIL/ZAP, but the project doesn’t seem to be worked on. (I may make my own C implementation of ZAP, but maybe not; I don’t know.) Yes I agree to use FOSS as much as possible though. ZILF is one, there is also ZORKMID (my own Z-machine debugger in C; I know it can load a story file created with ZAPF because I have tried), and then you may also add others in the package manager, although perhaps only ZILF (and Mono) would then be included in the core system (and whatever Z-machine implementation is included with (or meant for use with) ZILF; I don’t know which one that is, but hopefully you know).

You should also ensure that some very important programs are included that should be in any distribution, such as vim, xterm (if you are running X at all), and a C compiler (gcc or clang).

Thanks for the heads up man, yeah I have definitely got those in consideration. But even at zero point, ZILF does remarkable as is, but I am still waiting for updates eagerly no matter what due that so far it’s pretty faithful to the ZIL docs from Infocom (by David Liebling or Mark Blanc?). Like I said before, at it’s core, and out of the box, you won’t do advanced uses of ZIL/F, where as that is what the oo of inform is capable of, but again, as I said before, that is all I need to do with my IF coding. Just simple parser. I grew up with it, I am not above hyper text, I just have fonder memories of the VERB NOUN parser. Usually the reason why firstees on IF or text adventures don’t understand parser based text adventures, is due to lack of instructions or documentation. But thankfully an IF developer worth their salt does that already.