intfiction.org

The Interactive Fiction Community Forum
It is currently Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:25 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 5:46 am 

The built-in extensions don't seem to have their own threads so I'll put my question about Complex Listing here:

How do you use "invert scored list"? Obviously it puts the list in reverse order but when should it be invoked? It seems that "invert scored list; say prepared list" doesn't give you a reversed list because "say prepared list" calls "dump list" which runs the list arranging activity which sorts the Table of Scored Listing in non-inverted order.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 6:32 am 
I think this falls under "General Discussion"...

Does anyone remember iXu? It would download and install every extension and/or updates from the site.

http://ixu.zenfactor.org/

I take it, since it will all migrate to the public thingamajig, this application is now obsolete and should not be used, yes? I believe it "connects" to the I7 website EXTENSIONS page.

Of course, if the public library is mirrored bu the extensions page in the i7 website, iXu will still work as normal.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:52 am 

I have a problem when running the Patrollers extension by Michael Callaghan. There are 2 lines in the extension that Inform 7 keeps throwing up - To depart is a verb. To come is a verb. Inform 7 tells me that this appears to say two things at the same time. As I'm new to IF writing I would be really grateful for some help in resolving this issue. Apologies of this isn't the right forum for this type of question.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:10 pm 

kindlecrasher wrote:
i would request that the extension pages on the inform 7 site put a prominent caveat that a lot of the extensions listed on that site is currently incompatible with the current version of inform 7.

This post from kindlecrasher was back in June. There is STILL no indication on the inform7 site extensions page that the material there is for the most part outdated/incompatible.

I will refrain from saying what I think about this, except to quote Adlai Stevenson: "I'm underwhelmed."

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:51 pm 

Just tried to update the installed extensions in Inform (1.52/6.33/6L38), and see peculiar behavior, to say the least:

- The yellow button at the bottom of the Public Library tab of the Extensions section is labeled "Download 91 Extensions." When I click that and 91 extensions putatively download (I7 reports that they did successfully), the yellow button continues to have the same label, and clicking it again appears to download and install the same 91 extensions -- leaving the button label again unchanged. Each time these install, the number of Extensions to be updated (see below) increments by the number of newly installed extensions.
- The blue button just below the yellow button states "Update 420 Extensions." Clicking that supposedly updates the extensions, but two problems: 1) The number of extensions that need updating *increases* instead of decreasing (now up to 1147, bizarrely); and 2) A high number of "updates" fail with 404 errors (105 of 315 failed, in one attempt). Where are all these extensions coming from? Surely these numbers are bogus.

All this leaves me quite unclear as to the status and integrity of the extensions installed in my copy of I7. Does this indicate some major bugs in the I7 app? Are there major bugs in the Public Library?

Since this appears to be thoroughly broken, why has no one else reported this (as far as I can see)? Am I doing something wrong and the app and public library are OK?

Thanks in advance for any explanations.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:43 pm 

That definitely sounds like a bug. Could you look at the version of one of the installed extensions (in the Extensions menu option at the top) and check whether it's the same as the version it's trying to install? (In other words, is it not recognizing that it currently has the latest versions, or is it failing to download them?) What operating system are you on?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:56 pm 

I'm pretty sure these bugs have been reported before. But if in doubt you can report it again.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 2:44 pm 

Draconis wrote:
That definitely sounds like a bug. Could you look at the version of one of the installed extensions (in the Extensions menu option at the top) and check whether it's the same as the version it's trying to install? (In other words, is it not recognizing that it currently has the latest versions, or is it failing to download them?)
Not entirely clear what to check against what. But perhaps that's moot, as the mystery deepens: Today when I booted up I7, the Public Library tab now reports that all extensions are now downloaded (the yellow button is now white and disabled), while the Update button lists only 1 extension to be updated -- not the over 1000 last night -- and that extension fails to update because of a 404 error. Between these forum reports, I did nothing other than allow time to pass and restart I7. So perhaps whatever bug there is is just in the UI code while the extension downloads/updates are taking place. Very weird.
Draconis wrote:
What operating system are you on?
Mac OSX 10.9.4.
Dannii wrote:
I'm pretty sure these bugs have been reported before. But if in doubt you can report it again.
I don't see any bug exactly like this in Mantis, certainly not for the OSX version of I7. But there was this closed Gnome bug http://inform7.com/mantis/view.php?id=1612 that may or may not be relevant. I haven't yet submitted a new bug given with the magical apparent resolution of the issue.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 5:27 pm 

I'm having a compiler error when I use the example of "version 3/150414 of Hypothetical Questions by Jesse McGrew". The sample code being named "A Sense of Adventure" seems to generate invalid i6 code that fails on Inform 7 build 6M62.

If you comment out the part:

Code:
Report going:
	hypothetically take everything and consider the player's fate rulebook;
	if the outcome of the rulebook is:
		-- the player dies outcome: say "You sense an ominous presence. Better be careful picking things up in here!";
		-- the player wins outcome: say "You sense your victory is at hand!";
		-- the player scores outcome: say "You sense a potential profit. Better grab everything you can!".

The compiler doesn't fail. Any idea how to fix this?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 5:29 pm 

What's the exact error message from the compiler? It should be in the Console tab.