intfiction.org

The Interactive Fiction Community Forum
It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:16 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Have you tried ADRIFT 5?
I have never heard of ADRIFT 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
I am put off by it's reputation 4%  4%  [ 2 ]
I am competent with a different system and have no interest 37%  37%  [ 17 ]
I have had a look, but it didn't interest me 9%  9%  [ 4 ]
I have had a look, but it seemed too basic for my needs 4%  4%  [ 2 ]
I have had a look, but I found it too difficult to get to grips with 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
I would like to have a look, but haven't found the time yet 20%  20%  [ 9 ]
I love ADRIFT 4 and don't feel the need to upgrade 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
I love ADRIFT 5 and use it all the time 9%  9%  [ 4 ]
Some other reason (please elaborate below) 11%  11%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 46
Author Message
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:56 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:34 pm
Posts: 3086
Location: Burlington, VT
climbingstars wrote:
Joey wrote:
I'd say more filter than compass. And I'm not sure how well ethical fits.


Possibly, I was going by this.


That's aesthetic compass. Wittgenstein said "Ethics and aesthetics are one and the same," but the view is not widely held.


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:00 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 02, 2010 8:27 am
Posts: 188
Location: London
JavaScript or Python are probably the languages of choice if the priority is choosing a technology that others want to be involved with: https://github.com/languages

A Python port of Quest's WorldModel would be a good project. I've already sort of done a JavaScript conversion - it's what the iOS/Android app conversions use. It's actually reasonably straightforward, as much of Quest's functionality is implemented in Quest scripts, so you don't need to reimplement the parser or any logic that decides which objects are visible. You just need to be able to parse XML, execute regexes, maintain a list of objects with arbitrary attributes, evaluate expressions, interpret scripts and implement various functions. Maybe I'll tackle this myself at some point - would be a good way for me to learn Python at least.


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 9:32 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:16 am
Posts: 8
To be honest, and i feel embarrassingly shallow saying this, but my biggest problem with Adrift is how the games look in the runner. It's hard to describe, it feels "hokey" while z-machine games feels more "solid". I also don't like the automap feature, it takes me out of the immersion.

Adrift was my first encounter with IF and i quickly gravitated towards Inform and especially Inform 7 when it comes to development and games that comes as zblorb files etc simply because Inform looked more elegant, just the website was extremely appealing in it's elegance, design and imagery and the actual program (Inform 7) followed suit perfectly. Because of this i have probably missed a lot of great games and developing with Adrift 4 and 5 is something i have only glanced over.

Now i should say that even though i have been into IF for a long time and have known about both Inform 6, 7 and Adrift and played around with them for years i only recently got into actually writing my own stuff for real so what I'm writing here is sort of a quasi-first impression. Hope it helps though!

_________________
~On and off IF player and Inform 7 student~


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:21 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:29 pm
Posts: 42
Location: Utah
I will never ever install Mono.


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:48 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:49 am
Posts: 218
Nathan wrote:
I will never ever install Mono.
Why's that then?

_________________
ADRIFT Developer developer.


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:51 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:49 am
Posts: 218
Ziera wrote:
my biggest problem with Adrift is how the games look in the runner. It's hard to describe, it feels "hokey" while z-machine games feels more "solid". I also don't like the automap feature, it takes me out of the immersion.
That's a surprising comment. Are we talking fonts and colours here, or text responses? And you can turn the map off.

_________________
ADRIFT Developer developer.


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:14 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:48 pm
Posts: 794
Campbell wrote:
Nathan wrote:
I will never ever install Mono.
Why's that then?

Microsoft tech is generally disliked and untrusted in Linux circles. Example:

http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/reports/6793/1

But you can find more opinions by googling for "linux mono controversy." I do share the belief that Mono should not be used. I don't have it installed and don't plan to. Of course I also share the belief that people are free to disagree with me and make their own decisions.


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:02 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:21 am
Posts: 12
RealNC wrote:
Campbell wrote:
Nathan wrote:
I will never ever install Mono.
Why's that then?

Microsoft tech is generally disliked and untrusted in Linux circles. Example:

http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/reports/6793/1

But you can find more opinions by googling for "linux mono controversy." I do share the belief that Mono should not be used. I don't have it installed and don't plan to. Of course I also share the belief that people are free to disagree with me and make their own decisions.

I can see there is an argument for keeping Mono and anything that needs Mono out of Linux distributions (there may be a risk that MS gets some control of Linux otherwise), but is that really a good reason for avoiding Mono entirely? If the very worst happens, and Microsoft starts invoking patents, are they really going to to go after you personally if you keep using Adrift?


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:34 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Dec 22, 2007 9:44 pm
Posts: 223
Alex wrote:
JavaScript or Python are probably the languages of choice if the priority is choosing a technology that others want to be involved with: https://github.com/languages

A Python port of Quest's WorldModel would be a good project. I've already sort of done a JavaScript conversion - it's what the iOS/Android app conversions use. It's actually reasonably straightforward, as much of Quest's functionality is implemented in Quest scripts, so you don't need to reimplement the parser or any logic that decides which objects are visible. You just need to be able to parse XML, execute regexes, maintain a list of objects with arbitrary attributes, evaluate expressions, interpret scripts and implement various functions. Maybe I'll tackle this myself at some point - would be a good way for me to learn Python at least.


That makes it easier than porting ADRIFT or Quest 4, but noticeably harder than porting Zcode or Glulx: The Inform compiler already converts most of those (regexes, objects with attributes, expressions, most of those functions) to its own VM.


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:54 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:16 am
Posts: 8
Campbell wrote:
Ziera wrote:
my biggest problem with Adrift is how the games look in the runner. It's hard to describe, it feels "hokey" while z-machine games feels more "solid". I also don't like the automap feature, it takes me out of the immersion.
That's a surprising comment. Are we talking fonts and colours here, or text responses? And you can turn the map off.


Yeah i think i'm gonna have to take that part back, i have since posting that had another look at Adrift and i see that it's possible to change things to look more like what i'm used to. ;)

_________________
~On and off IF player and Inform 7 student~


Top
 Profile Send private message  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group