MUD maker

Where can I find a MUD maker for windows? Google doesn’t work for this obscure crap.

Try searching for MUD codebase instead. Here’s a list of potential options: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MUD_trees

Do you mean a game creation tool like Gamemaker? There really isn’t one for muds as far as I know. There’ve been some attempts at them in the past but there’s nothing currently available.

Otherwise, if you just mean a codebase, you have a lot more options like cvaneseltine pointed to.

Warning: evident bad joke below.

Or you can just mix some of your own. Earth and water, can’t beat it, classic elements. Then if you want to fling it at windows, that’s your business.

:laughing:

Wait, that’s a BAD joke?

Crap, I have some posts to delete.

What’s a codebase?

It’s the equivalent of an IF development system, like Inform 7. Though some of them have more game content, like combat and magic systems, monsters, weapons, and so on already coded for you.

If you look in the link given above all the names in those family trees are codebases.

What kind of mud do you want to make?

Don’t quite know yet. Just want to try it out. Like when I picked up Inform7.(figuratively)

I remember the SMAUG code base wasn’t too hard to work with. But not any details past that - I tried it in 2000, I think.

A few years ago, I and a few chat room buddies had a random itch to try setting up a MUD to goof around with for a little while. We used something called the Dead Souls Mudlib, located at http://dead-souls.net/

It wasn’t a bad experience. Similar to systems like Inform and TADS, it has several pre-installed functions for basic MUD activities, including combat. You can have it up and running with a barely-passable game faster than many mud servers allow. Despite not knowing much programming at the time, I remember it being somewhat easy to set up rooms, NPCs, etc. However, you will have to dabble in some object-oriented coding if you want to add non-standard behaviors to the NPCs, objects, etc.

Unfortunately, it does not have a shiny and useful editor like some modern IF languages. You’ll have to get down and dirty by editing stuff either by text files or the pure-text interface that is the terminal. (On that note, if I could code a MUD using Inform 7, I’d be all over that!)

I think Dead Souls has passed through at least one major version since I played with it, so my information may be outdated.

There used to be GUNCHO, which was basically Inform 7 MUD, but it vanished a while ago.

You could try seltani, zarf’s hyperlink MUD.

I cannot brag about the state of Seltani’s install documentation. It’s kind of a do-it-yourself procedure.

Vanished as in I cannot get a copy of it at all, or will I have to ask if I could get a copy from someone who still has it?

Vanished as in it was closed-source and run from a central server, which authors could connect to to write their own “realms” in I7.

I can’t say this will be easy but you could have a go with Guncho if you like,

bitbucket.org/jmcgrew/guncho/sr … at=default

Does guncho have a Windows version?

I don’t think there’s a Windows binary (.exe) but considering that Jesse (vaporware here on the forum) wrote it in C# for Mono (i.e. Linux) it’s very likely it wouldn’t be too hard to build one for .NET (i.e. Windows). You’d have to ask him.

Aetheria Game Engine is an IF system that also implements RPG elements (combat mechanics, weapons, armor, magic, etc.) and allows real-time and multiplayer, so in principle it has the basic elements for a MUD. The system is multilingual and can produce games in English although, unfortunately, the documentation is only in Spanish at the moment. But since it’s online maybe you’d like to give it a go with Google Translate (from what I’ve seen, it makes a rather decent job).

Project site including downloads: code.google.com/p/aetheria/
Documentation: caad.es/aetheria/doc/

I’d really like to make Guncho to work, but I can’t compile the open source version, it complains a Guncho.Core folder is missing. And can’t find the mono .exe anywhere.

Inform 7 is a great tool to design worlds, and it seems perfect for me for this purpose. Most MUD are quite strange for designing rooms, you have to enter the world, add objects from there and they are stored in the database. But you can’t review the whole code of your world (it seems Seltani works a bit this way). I find it easier to have a source code, and you can also generate stuff automatically this way.