Gamebooks? System & Codewords?

Someone suggested I try this forum to ask for help in the gamebook Im working on for Fun. I don’t know if this would be the best place or not. Often most game book forums out there are inactive, or seem to be focused on Reviewing, or collecting old game books instead of WRITEING THEM. So If you guys can help me I’ld greatly apreciate it. The main thing to remember is that this system does not use a computer. Its meant to be read by a person and played with dice. Although my project will be finalized in a digital presentation It will be formatted to look as if it were a scan in of an old paperback novel. As mentioned, Any help is greatly apreciated because my number one thing I need is… Feedback. Constructive feedback. Good or bad. here it goes.

#1 Fact
I decided to write a game book.
Im using advelh to keep track of everything.
That’s an editing program that if you change paragraph “the empty room” from pargraph 12 to 200 it changes all the original pointers FROM P12 TO P200. Really usefull for moving bits and pieces around.

The thing that gets me the most headache is simply feedback.
I’m home brewing my own die rolling system with a lot of similarties to ShadowRun and Dungeon & Dragons.

I use a countdown timer to give the game limitations so I’ll need some play testers later on.

The main concept is to implement a die pool like ShadowRun 4th does.
My main influence due to the free QuickStarter.

I replaced their extensive list of skills with a Modifier system. You have the main stats and a Modifier. So an Archery skill check would be Dexterity + Strength Modifier. The mods are produced by a chart and determined the the secondary attributes primary score. This adjust all skill checks up by 1 in thresholds.

Combat is simplified. At first SR4’s roll back and forth resulted in an excessive amount of die rolling for a single player gamebook. I took a step back and looked at my preffered rpg of D&D, which rolls againts an AC and then for dammage. Now I concluded that would work for this mixed up system. Turn combat into skill checks. Roll against a threshold. If pass apply dammage. Since SR uses a verry low # of dammage points compared to D&D I decided that each ‘hit’ results in a set number of dammage based on the weapon type.

#2 My Main Issue
The problem came up with createing the ‘threshold’ to hit. Or ‘Armor Class’ for this mixed up identify confused system.
I’m thinking take the primary Dodge attribute + the Primary Endure dammage attribute Divide by two, THEN add any extremely low number modifiers as per worn armor or heavy weaponry.

Yes Its how to achive this ‘Players AC’ that has me in a little knit.

With monsters I can ‘fudge’ it considerably since you don’t need to see all their stats. Just attacks and defense. Although I DO create a full stat for the monsters originaly, in the final presentation you don’t get to see it all. Just whats needed to play.

#3 Topic or setting of Game Book.
Its mainly an ‘explore locations, pickup objects as codewords, roll dice for various tasks’ type of thing. Its based on the original 1992 “Alone in the Dark” horror survival video game. (Ald) predates the first resident evil by 6 years. Its purely a fan based createive writeing experiment. Not for sale or resale or anything like that. Just creative writeing fun. Now for those ‘concerned’ about copyright and everything You should Know that I’ve changed a load around. I’m using lovecraft as my main inspiration. Every monster is now unique, disturbingly so. Whereas the video game represented mansion looks like a coat of paint and you could rent it out, mine is a disaster. the description I gave it makes you want to take a match to the place. The old polygon monsters are so differnt from what I describe that Mine are more horrific. Since i use ‘search for x’ as a means of progressing the count down timer i have TONS of additional detail. Paintings never seen, detail never shown, and horrors never present. I read sections to my co-workers and they say its quite descriptive. Which is what im going for, excessive detail and description. The underground cave section has tons of limestone cave descriptive elements not even present in the game. A festival for painting a visual setting. Oh It has tons of grammer errors galore but I’ll work on that AFTER I get the game elements done.

#4 Question
A while back I was in thought and took a step back and though ‘what if you removed all die rolling combat and resorted to code words only.’ I realized all thats left is character interactions. This made me think about how tarot cards are used to represent inter personal relationships. And how each card has a multitude of symbols. Then I realized… -What if- you created an enormous amount of Code-Words at the start of the book in Character-Creation. You’d still pick up a few during the game but in this case your Character determines an enormous amount of how the game plays. Primarily in an open world design with free exploration and dozens of quest… Quest that are locked or opened due to your character based code words. Thus the need for an enormous amount of quest and a large world to explore. This of course could only be presented Digitally. Physical print for such a project would be practicaly impossible.

But I have to ask.
Is there a game book out there that does this already?
Aquire 50% + of the gamebooks ‘codewords’ during character creation?

A guy looking for a load of feedback.
P0ppaC0rg1

Well, for initial feedback: I love the inspirations you’re citing. The original Alone in the Dark was one of my favorite games.

#2: I might be able to help, but I really don’t know a lot about game-books. I do know something about forming equations and modifiers in a role-playing CRPG environment, and creating effects and outcomes based on combined variables. Can you explain each of the attributes for each equation, without citing other game-book resources, sort of an “attributes for dummies” you’re trying to combine, and what the desired effect is?

#3: Somehow, this makes me think of Lone Wolf, with different Kai disciplines, or some kind of magic word to create an effect, or create an outcome if you “own” that code-word. Am I on the right track with this?

#4: I have no idea. :smiley:

Did you look at the Virtual Reality books? They do exactly that, using 100 % codewords, nothing random. But the only ones you start with are a short list of skills (technically not referred to as codewords in the books, but functionally equivalent to the codewords).

Why would you need so many codewords though?

Craftian
Ohkay. In a skill check you roll a number of dice based on an attribute
So if the Atrib is say 4 you roll 4 dice (standard 6 sided)
You then count up any die that came up a 5 or 6
These are pass die
You compare that to any task’s Threshold
Ie if its 3 then you have to roll at least 3 (or more) die that came up with 5 or 6
Rolling half or more of 1’s results in a -1 of the pass die from your results.

when making a character your given an # of build points. Lets say that there the number of die you can use (in total for your entire character) and put them in your attributes. If you disperse them evenly you get an average of 2 die per each attribute for a weak character, 3 for an average, and 3.5 for a strong one. The max any character can have is 8. The ‘attribute modifiers’ increase the skill check thresholds up by 1 which adjusted are.
2=easy - 3=average - 4=hard - 6+=extreme

For each Attribute score you get a modifer of.
1-0, 2-0, 3-1, 4-1, 5-1, 6-2, 7-2, 8-3

So if you had a Dex of 2 and a Strength of 3 then (in the above example) youd use a total of 3 dice to roll against the threshold. Thats Dex=2 + StrMod=1 Vs Target number of … lets say 3. Which means the ability to succeede that roll is VERRY difficult with only 3 die.

Thats your basic ‘skill check’ routine.

I have a few of those from the Abandonaria ‘underdogs archive’. From before publishers realized they could resell the digital copies for a few cents instead of letting them lay around.

#4B (added 2-28-2014)
I thought of changeing the thresholds by increaseing the number of pass faces. roughly to divide the numbers in half.
1,2,3=Fail
4,5,6=pass
This changes the thresholds and makes it easier to remember. But at the same time it makes the probabilities of rolling a pass HIGHER. Thus wouldnt thresholds become incredibly higher?

So i thought of asking this question of those whom are mathmaticaly inclined.
Should i
#4b-a (make pass only = to the sixes) I imagine it LOWERS the thresholds as the probabilities of pass now decreases. The idea is simplicity. To make the numbers seem low but to keep the percentages the same.
or
#4b-b (make pass only = to five and sixes) no change at all
or
#4b-c (make pass 0nly = four, five and sixes) changes thresholds.

The idea is simplicity.

Okay, I’m following you so far. What’s the threshold? The monster attack, or whatever the player is rolling against? I’m assuming, as a game-book, the outcomes are determined by the DM?

Yes, it would. You might have to test this with a sample play-through of a campaign. You’ll never balance the combat abstractly – you’ll need people to test this for you. Similar to beta-testing in an IF game, since you’re the designer, you’re too close to the material to see what the play experience will be like for diverse groups of people.

How about adding a difficulty level in the game-book to change these rules? Give people the option of an easy play-through of a campaign if they’re new by having higher thresholds?

The best way to do this is to come up with a campaign, get a group of people together, test it out, and get some feedback. I think that’s the only way to check if the system is too difficult, or too easy.

Threshold = the number that represents the number of pass-die the player must roll. Ie the number of die that come up with 5 or 6.
It’s what the player is attempting to roll the number of pass-die equal to or greater than in order to succeede in their task. It is applied to ordinary tasks such as jumping a moat, or making a successful attack against an opposing monster. OR them against the players character.

As for changing the pass die faces. I think I’m going to keep it to shadowrun 4th editions rules on which I based the skill checks on. It’s been tested and for this lightweight combat variant, it works.

As for difficulty its based on how strong your character is. In my gamebook your given an option how to create your character. The options are between a weak character for a difficult game, an average character for an average game, or a strong character for an easy game. that way in-game stats for contest don’t change.

I have yet to rewrite combat rules.
(the following cycle was created for my original combat rules which mimicked shadowrun TOO much. Die rolls with the new attack method are around 4 rolls for the cylce compared to the original 8 to 16)

In combat you have an repeating cycle.
Nobody is dead until after the beginning of the retreat option. This is because combat is fast and simultaneous.
Having iniatative with a retreat options usually results in the player taking a retreat almost every time after making a single attack (if he goes first). So here retreat is offered after one cycle of back and forth combat. The temporary -1 die is to create variance. Almost like the advantage of the Initative in D&D to give a bonus. At least that’s the idea.

-start-
Monster attacks, player attacks. (player has a temporary -1 die on attacks and defense)
Player has retreat option
Monster attacks, player attacks. (monster has a temporary -1 die on attacks and defense)
Player retreat option.
-end-

Although I have firmly decided on combat method the cycle can still be altered and fiddled with.

-added 3-1-2014-
Within the pats 24 hours I’ve serious thought about restarting this project.
I would simply strip away all die rolling elements I already wrote in.
Of course I would keep an original backup.
I would then rework the exiting restart on the premise of utilizeing only the countdown timer and the passwords.
The concept is to remove all unecessary die rolling mechanics so as to concentrate on existing passwords. Then go back and add in obviously required die rolling tasks.
#X How does that sound guys?

–added 3-10-2014–
On BGG a guy suggested to find a mechanic and stick with it. Which I decided to stick with the skill check mechanic.
As for the above ‘reset’ I am full heartedly takeing this approach.
The idea is to clean out all unecessary dice rolling.
To get back to basics.
Then work forward with dice rolling where necessary.
nothing of what ive written auctually gets modified at all
Only the attempts of plugging in dice rolling elements.
I’ve also simplified some other things in easier observations.

Puzzle help. I’m looking for a line maze with 8 intersections. Some lines are 1 way some are two way. There are two entrances to the maze and one exit. There is a central goal destination and a bad-death destination. Thats about it. Any pointers are greatly welcome.

What is the question about the maze?

Btw are you sure you want one? To me they seem as boring and dated in a gamebook as in a parser-based game.

My gamebook is primarily ‘explore the haunted house’ style of game. Almost a dungeon crawl with a lot of ‘keys/codewords’. There is no maze in it at all and although I describe it as a maze here it’s not obviously described as such to the reader. No im not looking for a super complex maze just one that is a wee bit confuseing. Thus the limitation to 8 intersections. I’m horrid at mazes. If there’s a years old public domain line maze out there I’ld be glad to use that one. … I could reduce the entrance to one but the two end points would get me. The goal is a given. But a secondary deadend goal is the confuseing part. Other than that I’m having fun. To me this is a big creative writeing project with a goal. One paragraph at a time.

I’ve done that with a maze before, let me see if I can find the old picture I used.

gwydir.demon.co.uk/jo/maze/garden/

I converted the Hampton Gardens one into a TADS maze years ago. Lots of nice dead ends for puzzles and such. Is 1690 public domain enough? Hehehehe.

absinthe, this maze website is so good! Thanks for making it.

That was a good maze link. I thank you. I also looked up java and apps online that automatically generate mazes. Unfortunately none of them work of the premis of labeling the number of entrances to the maze or the number of end points within the maze. A lot of hedge mazes on that page seem to be little more than long paths with only a few points of variance. Just mapping out the interesections tends to help me a lot in planning one for this game book.

Oh, just to be clear, that’s not my website! It’s just one I found a decade ago and that thankfully is still up. And somehow I remembered the right term to find it again (“hedge maze blueprints”).

Yep, the hedge mazes I think (from very casual reading so I could be wrong) were generally designed with an eye towards giving the walker the longest path through a relatively small space, not usually to confuse and bewilder. But you could always block off some of the major intersections, either permanently or with obstacles the player has to get through. I think that’s what I did when I converted the Hampton Garden one to TADs.

A. Amazing notes.
I’ve nailed down a maze with bizzare locations and link together descriptions. Paints a nice weird picture. The only thing is just that, a picture. In the game one entrance of the maze is one way, almost involuentary. It’s a ceiling painting. The other is locked behind a door. You open the door and there is something flat on the wall. A mirror or a painting. Then somehow you enter the ‘astral realm’ through that flat device. There is no room beyond the locked door, just the wall… I have yet to create a nifty and mind-bending mental image thats quite unique.

B. Armor Class
I hit a lul in creative writeing. I’m beginning to wrap up a lot of the paragraphs and i’m beginning tthe process of doccumenting things to make ‘linking together’ all these paragraphs much easier. In this Lul I’ve switched my concentration back to the Armor Class element. I’ve renamed it ‘Combat Rateing’ to advoid similiarities with other systems. So far I’ve come up with the following. The combat rateing has to be between 2 and 6+ (ie the 1+ SR4 skill check difficulties). So I know i have to add a few digits together to get that number. No single number determines it. the first is determined by the number of build points used to create the monster or your own character.
16 = 1, 24=2, 30=3
This is because each level of build points applied directly to attribute scores results in a stronger character overall. But to physicaly attack a character that has only mental attributes almost kills this as the SOUL AC (i mean CR) number source. Thus the need for a second digit. So I thought Why not use the attribute modifiers from Endurance, agility, perception, and constitutinon added together. So I looked at my existing monsters and realized that often they have a total of attribute modifer scores 2 to 4 all together. Yet i came up with a zombie hostes with a 23 build points (average) and a total of -all- attribue modifiers of 4. So im a little conflicted there. Anyway moving on.

C. Code Words!
I finaly realized two things. The first being that descriptions of items in the game are somewhat moot point when you have at the bottom of the paragraph “You recieve the code word X”. The second that I decided to join all code words together into the term of ‘code words’. Previously I had “Items, code words, Trigger codes, ignore codes, etc”. However I most likely will not reffer to them as code words. I’ll most often have
Do you have the word “Ignore the monster”
. If Yes then turn to page #x
. If No then continue.
ENCOUNTER!
. Turn to page #Y to fight the monster.

See no refference to code word just “word”. Give the term a more generic and overall useage. Oh yes there will be times when i say Do you have the item “The iron key”. But thats just to make it more specific as to what to look for. There will be a “code word” list and it will be divided into two sections. Items and Other. Alphabeticly sorted of corse for ease.

D. Spring! & co-authors?
Spring is here in rl and nothing like the excitement of real life turn slow down the creation of a spooky game. So I thought to myself, I’ve gotten to the point that having co-authors would be usefull. I’ve been digitizeing a ton of my notes that I’ve had hand written. Untill I do the basic rewrite it’s going to be impossible to work with another so untill then its on hold for co-help. If anyone would like to help it would be wonderful.

E. The Back Story.
Still attemping to work up a back story. Since this game is based on the old 1992 ‘alone in the dark’ game I’ve realized I need to change a LOAD around. This house has a slightly differnt floor plan for the second, and first level. The basement is completely differnt. no ‘mini t-rexs’ bursting through the windows in my game. A giant invisible snake, a giant centipede, and a car sized raven make the suprise haunts. In the case of the snake the raven revisits for the ‘you kill it’ paragraph. the raven breaks in and grabs the snake and flies off. So yeah lost of customization that ALD does not have. I have populated the place with more unique paintings. And the library has a number of novels whose dates are changed to match the twenties. like oh (smiles) The dark crystal, Rose red, Etc. The backstory of the imprisoned evil man is going to need to be replaced.

Still similiar results but in this case im thinking of placing the setting in upstate maine. Still the 1920’s and refferences to the war of independence and not the civil war. Im thinking the second generation immigrant of a german woodcutter who became a lumber barron. Various Grimms fairy tale refferences shoved in there. Not that the numerous H.P. lovecraft reffs arnt enough. Oh boy have I had fun there. There are WAAAyyy more lovecraft refs in this than ALD -EVER- had. But they keep coming at you. I steped back the other day and realized the frequency of them coming at you is almost like an amusement park ride. One after the other. Weird bizzare stuff left and right. So it cant be taken super seriously in itself. But I don’t wish to decend to pluging in humor. I think it would ruin the theme thus far. If anyone would like to help, ild be happy. But untill I get that basic rewrite its all on hold.

Nope im not vincent price but this little horror fest makes me admire that master of the macabre!

Take care.

Just an update guys:
A. got the ‘Astral Maze’ Nailed down. Nice mood.

B. The armor class element is either tabled or at a point that im currently satisfied with. Only a good playtest will tell.

C. I’ve formalized all the presentations of If-Then and codeword statements. I only have to auctually IMPLEMENT THEM into what ive written.

D. Almost all my note are digital now. I still have physcial print outs so i can pencil in new code words etc etc. Except now instead of hand written notes there nice clean and crisp computer printed.

E. The Backstory is Complete! In a nut shell. The importance of where the haunted house isnt important at all. Just the locale and the abodes history.

Hint: Encoded in the 1884 Margarete Hunt translation of the Brothers Grims Fairy tales is a complete copy of the Necronomicon. In order to decrypt it you need a rather large ‘text block’. This text block is in fact a previously unpublished brothers grimm Fairy Tale. There you go, in every household across the land is a copy of the necronomicon and all it cost, is a fairy tale!

I’ll be glad to share the whole mess with you once I get the thing whiped into shape.

Bob out.

6/6 update
I’ve finally nailed down a title “The House of Torment”
I’ve gotten 75% of the implementation of the FORM presentation of the various if-then statements.
This includes longer statements where its if-then-1 + code words + if-then-2.
I’ve discovered at least 6 incomplete elements that I’ve fixed.
The ‘lights out your dead’ maze now has tons of unique ‘in the dark’ death sequences.
Oh yes There is plenty of death in this game.
There is at least 36 unique ‘death by monster’ scenes.
There is almost just as many unique ‘death OF monster’ scenes.
There is a maze where if the your lamp go out you die.
So that’s 16 additional unique death scenes.
The new back story is distinctly written AND finalized. I’m quite satisfied by it.
I feel that there is many more lovecraft references in this game than in the alone in the dark.
There is a ton of monsters to the point that when you step back it looks like a Halloween ‘scare you’ haunted house.
I’ve also created cross-contamination of the various monsters. So you get the feeling that these creatures aren’t altogether friendly with one another.
Then there’s my last problem.
-back to combat-
This time it’s weapon damage.
In the original weapon damage stats that I wrote down it was all based on shadowrun’s modifiers of adding bonus die to the ‘to hit’ vs 'dodge -then- ‘dammage’ vs ‘resistance’.

Now I’ve reduced combat to one main role in one direction.
You roll whatever attack with modifiers VS a target number.
Basicly a shadowrun skill test.
However I did not seriously consider damage.
Initially I stated that damage is a set level.
Now I look back at notes from months ago and I’m second guess myself again.
The question is how to create ‘reasonable set dammage’ based on weapon type.
I also included that some weapons can be used as an CR (ie armor class) booster.
I already formalized how some range weapons can act as mele.
For example a rifle can act as a club.
Its just how to determine damage dealt, Combat Rateing boost (if any) and Attack Boost (to primary skills used)
From my near midnight foggy brain I am feeling intimidated and unsure and any feedback is always welcome.
For now.
Corgi Out.

6/7 -mid day-
A quick refresher on SR4 combat which in considerably different from my rules.
A. Roll to hit, which is main attribute + modifiers from skills and Weapons vs Opponents dodge.
B. Roll for damage. which is hits that pass, plus damage bonus from weapon, vs opponents resistance.

Now my system its.
Roll to Hit vs Combat Rateing. (Ie Dnd style Armor Class)
This was chosen so its one roll for the player.
Now it makes sense to …
(ARG fly in room in rl!!)
Now it makes sense to take those hits and apply them as damage. No resistance roll because this is a gamebook and any unnecessary die rolls is greatly unwelcome.

An example of Shadowrun weapons are as such.
Sword = (STR/2+3)P
This means to roll to hit with your strength. If the roll is higher than the opponents doge then any hits over his dodge are applied as damage. P means physical. Which translates well because I also implement Stun and physical health tracks. Now beyond this its where it gets weird for me.
My notes indicate take the number of hits, divide in half, then add 3. This is VS the opponents Resistance. Any Hits past this point are considered direct damage.

That’s my understanding. Or am I applying 3hd edition weapons to 4th edition rules inapropiately?
Either way I’ll need to revamp weapon damage as DIRECTLY APPLIED instead of a VS role.

I admit I gathered the weapon info online so it may be fudged from source. Not that it really matters anyways.

The one big factor I’ve surmised is modifiers of the weapon itself.
The weapon should be able to modifiy
a. The number of die (most likely just a +1) in the ‘to hit AC’ roll.
b. The number of points auto added onto any ‘pass’ die for damage.

So the question comes down to
A. Should weapons have a -SET- damage level. No die rolling required.
----- This seems to make sense. Simple. Take the weapon stat above, and just use 1 + the additional given by the weapon directly. (ie 1 is to equate to the pass die minimum). The question comes into play wither this should be reduced because in SR its VS resistance. So the number gets reduced more. The question is how to adjust. Either way its a -SET- amount.
B. Should weapons have a -SET- damage bonus in addition To pass die -OVER- AC target?
-----This would result in certain rolls feeling Good Vs Bad. A goal I would love to have in this game But I feel it would clutter up the rule set. This could also be the alternate to set amounts. I guess once again that this would be a low number. And given a minimum of 1.

What do you guys thinks.
A or B
and how you would finalize it.
Once this is done I can start adjusting attacks and get this monster into test stage.

Update 8-12-2014
I’ve finalized the method of determining weapon damage and the bonuses they give you to attack.
The biggest development kills two birds with one stone.

the use of weapons, or being attacked by weapons, consume time.
That ticking clock In my game now becomes that ever decreaseing point pool.

I’ve never addressed the use of time during combat.
Now I do.
Utelizeing 3 triangular charts, one for damage, one for dice roll bonuses, and one for overall weapon balance results in a complete method of createing weapons for gameplay.
Balance on the other hand of weapon creation vs gameplay is another issue.

I full intend to write out the ‘rules’ to my gamebook system and post them online to see what other authors feel is imbalanced.

There is no public domain gamebook system and for strict game book useage I feel it is a nice system. A lot of the elements are interchangeable because there so universal to many game books. A few on the other hand are unique. I hope when I put it online that you guys will review it. It would mean a lot to me.

Due to life being quite busy lately I’ve been stalled on this project for about a month.
I’ve seriously considered completely discarding and re-implementing a new system for character stats and skill checks.

I admit I’m so tired of this that I’ld be lazy and look for a pre-existing system complete with common weapons. Unfortunately My brief web searches do not provide satisfaction.

It would have to use six siders as a requirement.
for addative results no more than 3d6 (ie it ends up being D18) 1 die is a different color. The idea is that the two matching color die act as +6 die. (4,5,6 = 6) to get a flat rate of D18. Sure its not a D20 but I’m going for universality here with dice. If I went with 2d6 I’ld do the same thing. a Flat rate of 1 to 12. That way those with hobby dice could use a D12 or D18 and know the point spread to be the same. In the end D20 is simply 100% in 5 point steps. So you could say a 100% system. I have no idea how to implement that so if any of you have systems to point out complete with weapons. I’ld be interested to check them out.

I received word back form my top two system contenders.

Fighting Fantasy response: See “Fighting Fantasy Advanced”.
This is not Solo appropriate without excessive dice rolling.

Lone Wolf (project aeon) response: See Lone Wolf Boardgame kickstarter.
There is no compiled reference for gamebooks.

Two strikes. I’m out.

On the other hand I’ve made some simple realizations that make weapon creation, combat, and magic somewhat seemless. FINALLY. I finally figured out how to implement magic into the game system. Most of all I’ve simplified a lot and only just recently. I need to reformulate much.

I’ve decided to switch more technical to this other forum.

http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?728989-Working-on-ShadowRun-Variant-for-a-GameBook/page2

Update:
I’ve since realized that I am no game inventor for dice systems and numbers. I decided to use an existing system and use that. The system of choice was the “Fabled Lands RPG: Core Rulebook”. Sure as an rpg it seems sorta light weight and just reeks of gamebook, but to use it FOR a gamebook it works FINE. Since I decided on that I’ve gotten off the ‘I need to create a game system’ high horse and gotten back to working on the game. There is a lot of it done at this point. a LOT. but I need to go back through and work on pacing. It was based on a video game so a lot of conflict must be removed.

I wonder though. Has anyone adapted the D&D 5e “Basic” system to use in IF or a GameBook? If so I’ld like to give it a whirl!

I updated and uploaded my gamebook to google drive.
I still consider it a work in progress.
Unfortunately google drive displays it as raw html text. Not even as a web page.
It’s a plain text web page so you can click on the ‘turn to page #’ and not worry about finding that paragraph.

drive.google.com/file/d/0B9tHyM … sp=sharing

Enjoy and any constructive feedback greatly welcome.