intfiction.org

The Interactive Fiction Community Forum
It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:04 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:15 am 

Thanks, Dec!

David Griffith, I am running Windows 10.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:01 am 

I don't really use Inform, but if I have a sudden urge to create a z-machine game I will use inform 6 because 7 is so far outside of my programmer comfort zone.

Also there is an emacs inform-mode. Not sure if it is up to date to run with modern versions of editor and language, but it can hopefully still be used somehow.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:59 pm 

liquidrain84 wrote:
Thanks all! This should be fun to play around with. :) Where can I find an Inform6 compiler/editor? The link through the IFArchive appears to be dead...

Try this page:
http://inform-fiction.org/inform63/index.html

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:29 pm 

I cleaned up and uploaded an unfinished I6 game to Itch for Emily Short's Bring Out Your Dead last year and spent about two days fixing issues in the code. It was actually a lot of fun and in many ways simple parser IF is easier (to me) in I6 than I7. But anything serious I would do in I7.

"It boots nothing to avoid his snares, for they are ever beset by other snares." - The shade of High Lord Morham, The Wounded Land - Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:07 pm 

In case somebody is still interested in this thread, there are new versions of the Vorple library for Inform 6, to make games with even slicker effects!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:08 pm 

I try to keep Inform6 up to date vis-a-vis the Standard Library and an install package for Unix-ish systems. I would really really really like for someone well-versed in making packages for Windows to step up and make up an Inform6 package for Windows.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:45 pm 

DavidG, does that mean there *isn't* an up-to-date one for Windows? I've been having trouble finding it somewhere, despite all the resources given in this thread.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:50 am 

liquidrain84 wrote:
DavidG, does that mean there *isn't* an up-to-date one for Windows? I've been having trouble finding it somewhere, despite all the resources given in this thread.
All the individual bits that make up Inform 6 are still available, along with an up-to-date build for Windows: it's all still at http://ifarchive.org/indexes/if-archiveXinfocomXcompilersXinform6.html:

What David G is referring to is that there's no one single download for Windows that is a simple installer that includes the compiler, library, manual and examples, etc. similar to what he made for Linux. It's also important to understand that Inform 6 is not like Inform 7 - there isn't a single integrated environment that you can just run and type into. Back in the day, most users of Inform 6 would have had their own favourite text editor and used that to write the code, then used a batch file or a configuration in the text editor to run the Inform 6 compiler, and then started up the resulting game file in an interpreter to test it. This is how things got done in the days of long ago ...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:22 am 

Oh my. Sounds like a steeper learning curve than I initially expected. I wonder if I'll be able to handle it, or if I'll end up giving up not long after I start.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:42 am 

It's not that any of this is particularly difficult, it's just understanding a way of doing things that was once common (and still pretty much is, in programming circles) - there's an assumption of shared knowledge of how to use command line applications to compile code that isn't really true of the wider world.