new inform 7 version trouble

hi, i just started to use the new version 6L02 on mac. according to the interpreter my text has no problems after i changed a few lines to the new standards, but it stops ‘generating code’ at about 50%. Does any one of you have an idea or a link for troubleshooting?

thank you and lg, stefan

Is there an error message?

Does it hang forever or give up?

I assume you mean the “++ 50% (Generating code)” message in the Results/Console tab. (This message comes from the I7 compiler – the ni stage rather than I6 – in case anyone is wondering.)

thank you for your answer. the message is:

Launching: ni “-rules” “/Applications/Inform.app/Contents/Resources/Inform7/Extensions” “-extensions” “/Users/stefanmeister/Library/Inform/Extensions” “-package” “/Users/stefanmeister/Documents/inform/i7advs/dragonkinsinheritance_july.inform” “-extension=ulx” “-rng”
Inform 7 build 6L02 has started.
++ 0% (Reading text)
I’ve now read your source text, which is 60893 words long.
++ 5% (Analysing sentences)
I’ve also read Standard Rules by Graham Nelson, which is 42560 words long.
I’ve also read English Language by Graham Nelson, which is 2130 words long.
I’ve also read Rideable Vehicles by Graham Nelson, which is 1819 words long.
I’ve also read Shipboard Directions by Mikael Segercrantz, which is 630 words long.
I’ve also read Case Management by Emily Short, which is 166 words long.
I’ve also read Epistemology by Eric Eve, which is 1485 words long.
I’ve also read Conversation Framework by Eric Eve, which is 5140 words long.
I’ve also read Conversational Defaults by Eric Eve, which is 2231 words long.
++ 15% (Drawing inferences)
++ 20% (Binding rulebooks)
++ 23% (Binding rulebooks)
++ 26% (Binding rulebooks)
++ 29% (Binding rulebooks)
++ 32% (Binding rulebooks)
++ 35% (Binding rulebooks)
++ 38% (Binding rulebooks)
++ 41% (Generating code)
In Chapter 1 - In the Deserted Woods of Borkum:
Inform 7 has finished.

Do you have the latest versions of all the extensions (that is, versions that are either updated specifically for 6L02 or otherwise confirmed to work on it)? Also, I don’t think you need Case Management anymore. You could try removing at least that.

And this looks very similar to http://inform7.com/mantis/view.php?id=1233. You should check if there’s something wrong in the chapter the partial error message points to.

thank you for your answer. i will try to update all of the extensions. if a developer is reading this: maybe you could include an auto update button for extensions in the next version , as you have a standardised library already?

lg, stefan

i can’t find the following on the inform7 page:

Conversation Framework
Conversational Defaults

do i have to replace them with other extensions?

Those extensions should work with the new version. Which place are you looking: the old extension site, the Public Library, or the GitHub?

There is an “update all” button in the Public Library.

oh yes, there really is one! so the button would have been a good idea if it wasn’t there already… :wink:

sorry, i am still at:

Launching: ni “-rules” “/Applications/Inform.app/Contents/Resources/Inform7/Extensions” “-extensions” “/Users/stefanmeister/Library/Inform/Extensions” “-package” “/Users/stefanmeister/Documents/inform/i7advs/dragonkinsinheritance_july.inform” “-extension=ulx” “-rng”
++ 0% (Reading text)
I’ve now read your source text, which is 60737 words long.
I’ve also read Epistemology by Eric Eve, which is 1491 words long.
I’ve also read Conversation Framework by Eric Eve, which is 5179 words long.
I’ve also read Conversational Defaults by Eric Eve, which is 2247 words long.
++ 41% (Generating code)
Inform 7 has finished

You are running into some error in your code. Due to a bug in the I7 compiler, it is unable to display the error message – it just dies silently at this point. Unfortunately this means you have to figure out the problem on your own.

We think the I7 bug is triggered when it’s trying to display an error message that quotes Unicode characters (accented or non-English characters in your text). Maybe that gives you somewhere to start looking.

Could you show the “In the Deserted Woods of Borkum” chapter?

the whole game has only one chapter. i do not remember why i used it. the game was beta ready and running three years ago. i planned to make a prologue and two chapters but gave it up. i just erased the chapter 1 line, now it reads like the following, so my chapter seems to have no relevance:

++ 0% (Reading text)
I’ve now read your source text, which is 60728 words long.
++ 41% (Generating code)
Inform 7 has finished.

and i am sure i have no non english sings or letters in the whole text…

Well the good news here is that you can probably narrow down the problem by adding chapter headings to the source code. Just add a couple of chapters somewhat evenly in the source code and compile; when you see which one is referred in the error message, split it up again with more chapters and retry.

The rogue unicode character (if that’s the problem) can also be unintentional like an invisible space or ellipsis.

this seems to be the bad code:

Every turn when the hunter-gatherer is kaputt:
now zeithintercrevice is zeithintercrevice + 1;
if zeithintercrevice is 14 begin;
change the hunter-gatherer to zerstört;
end if;.

The “ö” in “zerstört” is a non-English character.

In this case the error message the compiler tries to print is that it doesn’t understand “change…to” which has been removed. Use “now the hunter-gatherer is zerstört” instead.

very funny: after changing all Die Brücke to die Bruecke:

You wrote ‘Die Bruecke is a region’ , but the Die Bruecke (which I notice in another sentence) seems now to be declared as a new region, which is suspect. Perhaps I have misinterpreted what was meant to be a new name for an old one?

Because of this problem, the source could not be translated into a working game. (Correct the source text to remove the difficulty and click on Go once again.)

now the program does not compile because something is suspect? So i cannot change text anymore because of being suspicious? :slight_smile:

after having to search errors by hand for an hour. i am now at:

++ 0% (Reading text)
I’ve now read your source text, which is 60761 words long.
Inform 7 has finished.

could you please reprogram the program from scratch? with all the earlier versions there was never any trouble like this. every error was always easy to find and easy to be understood. i really looked forward to throw my quite long text adventure out to the beta testers, but i think this work is now gone in vain…

You might want to do a global search-and-replace for ö->oe, ä->ae, ü->ue or repeat the chapter header trick.

You can of course suggest this to Graham, but I think he’ll rather fix the problem by spend 30 minutes fixing the Unicode error message bug than several years redoing the entire software.