Changing all orcs each turn?

[code]An orc is a kind of man.
An orc has some text called breath. The breath of an orc is usually “nasty”.

An every turn rule:
Now the breath of every orc is “[one of]smelly[or]nasty[or]delicious[stopping]”.

The Arena is a room.
Barffy is an orc in the Arena.
Gobba is an orc in the Arena.[/code]

but who won’t it work …? The every orc seems to be messing up

What happens?

Something like this:

I tried this and it works, using the Hatless example (#126) for inspiration:

An every turn rule: repeat with person running through orcs: Now the breath of the person is "[one of]smelly[or]nasty[or]delicious[stopping]"

Yes, this is tricky. It’s not really explicit in Writing with Inform §6.15, where “every” is introduced, but I think phrases like “every orc” can only be used in the subject place of conditions. So if you’ve defined “An orc can be fragrant or pungent” you can write “Now every orc is pungent,” and if you’ve defined a hating relation you can write “Now every orc hates the player”; but since you want to write “the breath of [whatever orc you have]” it’s not in subject position and you have to write a loop.

Basically, if you try writing an “every foo” phrase and it throws a compiler error, try using a repeat running through loop; that’s what always happens to me.

By the way, what is your intent with the [one of] construction? I feel it may not be what you want.

Thanks Khalisar, works perfectly now! (I’m analysing matt’s explanation now … I get his last line, at least!)

Draconis, you’re right, the constant random breath types doesn’t make much sense - but I was just trying to do “something” to see if I could update every orc every turn!

You can change properties in a group if you define a sentence verb.

An orc is a kind of man.
An orc has some text called breath. The breath of an orc is usually "nasty".

The verb to breathe means the breath property.

Every turn:
	Now every orc breathes "filthy".