I7: Another Annoying Error

[code]North of Mission Control Hall North is Mission Control Main Area. The description of Mission Control Main Area is “You’re standing on a raised platform behind a glass wall. Below you is the Mission Control Center where many different scientists check their computers and run simulations or whatever they do on those fancy computers of theirs. Probably playing Minesweeper, too. To the east, you can go to the Equipment Room and to the west is the Astronaut Special Area. And back south is the Mission Control Hall.” Director Aaron Stamven is a person in Mission Control Main Area. “The director of the space mission is the famed Aaron Stamven, who is currently standing here, looking important.” Instead of going west in Mission Control Main Area when the player is not wearing Astronaut Suit, say “You need to head into the Equipment Room first before you head that way.” The description of Aaron Stamven is “You’ve never particularly liked Stamven, but he is definately good at his job. He’s your boss and he makes sure you know it, too.” Instead of going east in Mission Control Main Area when Director Aaron Stamven is not carrying Important Math Paper, say “The door requires yet another key.” Instead of giving the Important Math Paper to Director Aaron Stamven: say "‘Um, sir…’ you say, getting his attention. ‘I have a delivery for you.’ Aaron snatches the paper from your hands and reads it carefully. ‘Excellent,’ he muses. ‘Good job, Fermen.’

‘It’s Flemend, sir.’

‘Right, Fermen. Look, we’re getting ready for the liftoff. You should get suited up in the Equipment Room.’

He hands you a key of which you take. You unlock the Equipment Room and give him back the key."; now Director Aaron Stamven has Important Math Paper. Instead of asking Director Aaron Stamven about “liftoff”, say “‘Liftoff is soon.’ He says, bluntly. Apparently he’s not too talkative right now.” Instead of asking Director Aaron Stamven about “key”, say “‘Yes, the key is to concentrate.’ He says. What was that about?”[/code]

Brings up this error:

What’s the meaning of this? I don’t get it.

That’s strange, because compiling your code gave me many errors but -not- the one you mentioned. I’m using windows build 4B91. Have you figured this out already?

No. I have no clue what is going on. It’s kind of annoying because I can’t make any more progress until I can fix it.

I compiled it and got a different error message:

This is part of the reason why I gave up trying to write an Inform 7 game. The ‘natural language’ is about as natural as machine code and the error messages are bewilderingly vague.

Since the code snippet

North of Mission Control Hall North is Mission Control Main Area. The description of Mission Control Main Area is "You're standing on a raised platform behind a glass wall. Below you is the Mission Control Center where many different scientists check their computers and run simulations or whatever they do on those fancy computers of theirs. Probably playing Minesweeper, too. To the east, you can go to the Equipment Room and to the west is the Astronaut Special Area. And back south is the Mission Control Hall." Director Aaron Stamven is a person in Mission Control Main Area. "The director of the space mission is the famed Aaron Stamven, who is currently standing here, looking important."

compiles on its own, I’m guessing I7 thinks you’ve already defined “Mission Control Main Area” somewhere else in your game. Is there any other part of your code where you use that phrase? If, in the snippet you posted, you (for now) change “Mission Control Main Area” to “Mission-Control-Main-Area”, does it compile properly?

Unfortunately, no. I’ve tried everything. I’m starting to believe that only Emily Short and Graham Nelson know what’s wrong.

Updated I7, everything will work as soon as I can fix out the dialogue code for the new version.