now noun is the actor

I tried to create a mutating action with which the player could mutate himself with mutate or mutate the jolly overlord with mutate jolly overlord.

I tried this:
Rule for supplying a missing noun while mutating: now noun is the actor.
But it didn’t work. Am I on the wrong track here? Should I rather create a seperate mutate actions to mutate the player himself?

Mutating is an action applying to one thing. Understand "mutate [something]" as mutating. Rule for supplying a missing noun while mutating: now noun is the actor. Report an actor mutating someone (called mutated-dude): Say "[You or Mutated-dude] turns into a hidious creature, or something."

I got it to work simply by adding the following line:

Understand “mutate” as mutating.

…this without removing what you already have. As for why this is, someone else’ll have to explain, I just know it works. :slight_smile:

BTW, you may wish to consider “Understand “mutate [someone]” as mutating.”, unless you plan to already have a check rule to catch a player trying to mutate an object instead of a character.

EDIT - FWIW,

[code]Mutating is an action applying to one thing.
Understand “mutate [something]” as mutating.
Rule for supplying a missing noun while mutating: now noun is yourself.
Report an actor mutating someone (called mutated-dude):
Say “[if mutated-dude is yourself]You turn[otherwise][mutated-dude] turns[end if] into a hidious creature, or something.”

Thisplace is a room.

Jack is a person in Thisplace.

John is a person in Thisplace.[/code]

Thanks, that worked - and yes, it makes sense to write someone instead of something.

But if I write that The player is jack. then if the player tries to mutate, he get this reply:
He isn’t available.

This is strange - also, the game is refering to the player in 3rd person, which is rude! :astonished:

[code]Mutating is an action applying to one thing.
Understand “mutate [someone]” as mutating.
Rule for supplying a missing noun while mutating: now noun is yourself.
Say “[if mutated-dude is yourself]You turn[otherwise][mutated-dude] turns[end if] into a hidious creature, or something.”

Thisplace is a room.
Jack is a person in Thisplace.
The player is jack.

John is a person in Thisplace.[/code]

That’d be because I used, lazybones that I am, a shortcut. :slight_smile: I used “yourself” as a token. “Yourself” is an actual character, the one that the PC normally plays. It’s not a variable; the game’s not referring to the player in third person, it’s referring to an existing NPC called “yourself” (who is probably off-stage) just like it could be referring to Peter, Paul, Mary, or Puff. Just replace “yourself” with “the player”, like so:

Rule for supplying a missing noun while mutating: now noun is the player. Report an actor mutating someone (called mutated-dude): Say "[if mutated-dude is the player]You turn[otherwise][mutated-dude] turns[end if] into a hidious creature, or something."

My fault, this one, sorry.

EDIT - Do you want NPCs to be able to mutate other NPCs on their own, independently? 'Cause if so “now noun is the player” would not be accurate, but then again, an automated NPC action like that wouldn’t have a missing noun, would it?

Oh! Makes sense!
Even if I go Yourself is in Thisplace. I still can’t see yourself there. Yourself is a strange dude.

But if the player typed John, mutate, it would miss a noun. It would be most correct if I could refer specifically to ‘whoever performed this action’. (that’s what I tried to do with ‘now noun is the actor’, which absolutely did not work.)

There’s some weird scoping stuff with the “actor”, since it’s not a global variable (unlike “noun”, “second noun”, “player”…).

But you can refer to the person asked to get the person involved in the request, even before the action is fully set up.

Just to add to that, you’ll want a couple extra rules, of course. And you’ll want to add “the actor” to your missing noun rule…

[code]Persuasion rule for asking people to try mutating: persuasion succeeds.

Rule for supplying a missing noun while an actor mutating: now the noun is the person asked.[/code]

Draconis, thank you very much, I was going around in circles trying to replicate that “person asked” token (didn’t know it existed) and getting into all sorts of trouble. :slight_smile:

Agreed - the person asked is quite fantastic!

(still, I also liked Peters original mutated_person is a person who varies … it sounds like the definition of body horror!)

The final (so far) code:

Mutating is an action applying to one thing.
Understand "mutate [someone]" as mutating.
Understand "mutate" as mutating.
Persuasion rule for asking people to try mutating: persuasion succeeds.
Rule for supplying a missing noun while an actor mutating: now the noun is the person asked.
	Say "[regarding mutated-dude][They] [turn] into a hidious creature, or something."