[I7] - What is the longest sentence possible?

I tried, and got this far:

>stag beetle, crush the glowing peanut with tweezers

Any way of expanding that sentence? :slight_smile:

Chapter - Define some stuff

A thing is either grabber or not-grabber. A thing is usually not-grabber.
A stone is a kind of thing.

Chapter - Crushing

To crush is a verb.

Understand "crush [something] with [something]" as crushing.
crushing is an action applying to two things.

Check an actor crushing when second noun is not a grabber (this is the not-a-grabber rule):
	If the actor is the player, say "[regarding actor][They] can't. The [second noun] is the wrong tool for such a task.";
	stop the action.

Unsuccessful attempt by an actor crushing (this is the explain-failed-crushing rule):
	if the reason the action failed is:
		-- the not-a-grabber rule:
			say "[regarding actor][They] can't. The [second noun] is the wrong tool for such a task.";
			Rule succeeds.

Carry out an actor crushing:
	Do nothing.

Report an actor crushing:
	Say "[regarding actor][They] [crush] the [noun].".

Chapter - Tea Cup

Tea Cup is a room.
The description of tea cup is "Trapped in a cup! The only way out is up. (BTW, you can't fly)".

Instead of going up when the player is in Tea cup, say "YOU CAN'T FLY!!! (jeez, what an idiot.)".
Instead of going north when the player is in Tea cup, say "You can't go that way. (fuckwad)".
Instead of going south when the player is in Tea cup, say "You can't go that way. (jerk)".
Instead of going east when the player is in Tea cup, say "You can't go that way. (moron)".
Instead of going west when the player is in Tea cup, say "You can't go that way.  (idiot)".
Instead of going down when the player is in Tea cup, say "You don't really understand the word 'trapped', do you?".

stag beetle is in tea cup. Beetle is a woman.
the description of beetle is "She doesn't seem threatening, which is a good thing. Those mandibles could easily take you apart."
Persuasion rule for asking stag beetle to try doing something: persuasion succeeds.

Some tweezers are in tea cup. tweezers are a thing. Tweezers are grabber.

A glowing peanut is in tea cup. peanut is a thing.

In Tea Cup is a stone.
In Tea Cup is a stone.
In Tea Cup is a stone.
In Tea Cup is a stone.
In Tea Cup is a stone.

I don’t know the answer to your question, but, mini-rant,

[rant]Insulting the player that way is generally not a good idea. Of course, I don’t know what you’re doing, and whether your narrator has a very strong personality that makes it work, but generally - generally - if I saw a message like that, I’d be likely to quit almost at once. I don’t play games to get insulted for exploring my possibilities.[/rant]

Agreed, it’s bad writing, even if this is just a foolish example for the purpose of exploring the length limits of a sentence (and it is!)

I just changed it to make the narrator a bit less negative:

Chapter - Define some stuff

A thing is either grabber or not-grabber. A thing is usually not-grabber.
A stone is a kind of thing.

Chapter - Crushing

To crush is a verb.

Understand "crush [something] with [something]" as crushing.
crushing is an action applying to two things.

Check an actor crushing when second noun is not a grabber (this is the not-a-grabber rule):
	If the actor is the player, say "[regarding actor][They] can't. The [second noun] is the wrong tool for such a task.";
	stop the action.

Unsuccessful attempt by an actor crushing (this is the explain-failed-crushing rule):
	if the reason the action failed is:
		-- the not-a-grabber rule:
			say "[regarding actor][They] can't. The [second noun] is the wrong tool for such a task.";
			Rule succeeds.

Carry out an actor crushing:
	Do nothing.

Report an actor crushing:
	Say "[regarding actor][They] [crush] the [noun].".

Chapter - Tea Cup

Tea Cup is a room.
The description of tea cup is "Trapped in a cup! The only way out is up. (BTW, you can't fly)".

Instead of going up when the player is in Tea cup, say "YOU CAN'T FLY!!! :'-(".
Instead of going north when the player is in Tea cup, say "You can't go that way. (Sorry. I know you poured you heart and soul into that command, and it is devestating to just having it couldly dissmissed by the game. Don't give up.)".
Instead of going south when the player is in Tea cup, say "You can't go that way. (but even if you could, there is nothing that way, as that area hasn't been constructed by the games author.)".
Instead of going east when the player is in Tea cup, say "You can't go that way.[line break][line break]                             (I LOVE YOU)[line break]".
Instead of going west when the player is in Tea cup, say "You can't go that way.  (but thanks for trying. You are such a sweetie!)".
Instead of going down when the player is in Tea cup, say "You can't go that way.".

stag beetle is in tea cup. Beetle is a woman.
the description of beetle is "She doesn't seem treatening, which is a good thing. Those mandibles could easily take you apart."
Persuasion rule for asking stag beetle to try doing something: persuasion succeeds.

Some tweezers are in tea cup. tweezers are a thing. Tweezers are grabber.

A glowing peanut is in tea cup. peanut is a thing.

In Tea Cup is a stone.
In Tea Cup is a stone.
In Tea Cup is a stone.
In Tea Cup is a stone.
In Tea Cup is a stone.

In the default state, the longest sentences will be of the form:

If your goal is to force the player to type an arbitrarily long sentence, you would just add constraints to require more text to each of those pieces.

For example, to force the player type something like “glimmering golden tweezers” instead of just “tweezers” for the noun, you can do this by making the tweezers privately-named and allowing only the longer phrase to apply with appropriate Understand statements.

Likewise, you could add “junk words” to the required command by modifying what’s accepted as a proper syntax for the verb, though this should be approached with caution.

Perhaps you could clarify what you’re trying to accomplish. An example of what you would like to have as input from the player would be useful.

A note: To keep this from being a very extreme case of “guess the syntax,” you would need to do quite a bit of work to ensure that close-enough variations on your target are accepted. If it’s only at a certain point that this tortured syntax is necessary, assorted “Understand … when …” statements in conjunction with a scene or other state marker are probably the way to go.

Instead of answering the Gatekeeper of Excessive Verbosity that "lorem ipsum dolor sit amet consectetur adipiscing elit sed nec felis a diam mollis dignissim donec iaculis ante": say "'That is indeed the password! You may enter.'"; increase the score by 5; now the gate is unlocked.

This is about as long as I could get it. If there are any more words in the topic it gets truncated, and above 32 words or so it actually crashes the interpreter.

Crashing the interpreter is a bug to file, please…

The parser (and even the I7 compiler) often truncates stuff, as a strategy for getting the job done without dynamic memory allocation. Crashing is bad though.

Filed. I think it’s an interpreter-level problem though I don’t have another Glulx interpreter to test against atm.

I created some unnamed things:

[code]A stone is a kind of thing.
Tea Cup is a room.

In Tea Cup is a stone.
In Tea Cup is a stone.
In Tea Cup is a stone.
In Tea Cup is a stone.
In Tea Cup is a stone.[/code]

It looks like it recognizes stones as nameless things. It works. But is this acceptable writing?

You can also just say “there are five stones in the Tea Cup”. But yes, there’s nothing wrong with nameless objects.