Objects with no description bug

Hi, I’m having a bug where objects that don’t have a description are just printing blank space instead of being described as “You see nothing special about the X”. This isn’t a huge problem, but I’d like to fix it. The problem is I have no idea what kinds of code would do that but leave regular descriptions untouched. Can anyone help me?

do me a favor? :slight_smile: The description of a thing is usually "[The noun] lacks a description. Please e-mail the author to rectify the situation. Thank you." Add this to your code and let me know what happens? :slight_smile:

I’m thinking:
it works: something happened to the default text and adding it yourself fixed it.
it doesn’t work: something is hindering all default describing action things. in which case the following rant tag is applicable.[rant][/rant]

Have you tinkered with the examining rules at all? If so, it could be that. Post your source code here and we’ll see what we can do.

Hope this helps.

Hey, sorry for the late response, I’ve been very busy!

Just ran your test and I got this: The apple lacks a description. Please e-mail the author to rectify the situation. Thank you.

I don’t know if that helps! I don’t know if I have altered the examining rules and I’m afraid I can’t really post the source here as it is spread across about fifty different files, but if you told me what you wanted to look for I might be able to find it on my own. :confused:

The standard behavior for that action is this:

Carry out examining (this is the examine undescribed things rule): if examine text printed is false: say "[We] [see] nothing special about [the noun]." (A).

Try searching for something added to your source that involves “Carry out examining”, all Insteads based on examining, and maybe something like ‘Rule for printing the description’ statements.

1 Like

If he turns on RULES and ACTIONS prior to examining something, won’t he get a clue as to what’s interfering?

Turns on rules and actions?

Via the debugging commands “>RULES” and “>ACTIONS”, available in non-release builds. See WWI 24.3 “High-level debugging commands.”

Done it! Damn, I would never have found that without you guys! Thanks a lot! :slight_smile: It was the “Instead of examining something:” rule from Blaze’s currency extension.

I also tried this with a conflict I’m having with a ‘wait one hour’ script, but the list was just way too long to tell what it could be, which means it’s probably looping somehow.

That’s a dangerous rule to have in an extension, though, isn’t it?

Yeah, it is really. I never even knew it was in there. It should really be an ‘after describing’ rule, I think.