Still stuck in BASIC and visualbasic

Given the scenario from the examples given in the Inform 7 docs, I am having trouble having Athena wait two turns before advancing to the next room;

Every turn when Athena is active:
repeat through the Table of Athena’s Movement:
let last space be the location of Athena;
if Athena can be seen by the player, say “Athena heads to [the destination entry].”;
move Athena to destination entry;
if Athena can be seen by the player, say “Athena arrives from [the last space].”;
blank out the whole row;
break.

Too mired in BASIC to think differently. Thank you, as always, for the support. Probably the answer is quite simple and I need to become more familiar with the language. For N = 1 to 3 would usually suffice…

Moving this over to the I7 folder.

You could do something like this (modified version of the “Odyssey” example):

[code]Corinth is a room. Athens is east of Corinth. Epidaurus is southeast of Corinth and east of Mycenae. Mycenae is south of Corinth. Olympia is west of Mycenae. Argos is south of Mycenae. Thebes is northwest of Athens. Pylos is south of Olympia. Sparta is east of Pylos and south of Argos. Delphi is northwest of Thebes.

Athena is a woman in Athens.

Table of Athena’s Movement
destination
Thebes
Delphi
Thebes
Athens
Corinth
Mycenae

Every turn:
say “Athena’s current location: [location of Athena].”;
say “Remaining turns before Athena moves: [remaining turns before moving].”

Remaining turns before moving is a number that varies. Remaining turns before moving is 2.

Every turn when remaining turns before moving > 0:
decrement remaining turns before moving.

Every turn when remaining turns before moving is 0:
repeat through the Table of Athena’s Movement:
let last space be the location of Athena;
if Athena can be seen by the player, say “Athena heads to [the destination entry].”;
move Athena to destination entry;
if Athena can be seen by the player, say “Athena arrives from [the last space].”;
blank out the whole row;
now remaining turns before moving is 2;
break. [/code]

Or you can just call “remaining turns before moving” N if you like. :slight_smile:

Thank you, my friend!

I think that it’s the nature of Inform that is throwing me --that everything must be worded as an action.

For me, it was making the beginning of the movement the inciting incident instead of making it contingent upon the turn number bbeing zero, if that makes sense. I just have to thinking a little differently is all.

Thank you!

This is really cool! Another thought I had is you could only call Athena to move on even or odd turns. I think you can call “if the turn count is even: […]”