Problems displaying box quote using Basic Screen Effects

Alright, I am on quandary now… I am using a straight forward title screen with the box quotes, but it won’t show when play begins…

[code]when play begins:
display the boxed quotation
"THE CRYSTAL DIMENSION CHRONICLES-

~=0=~-  Part One  -~=0~-

The Strange Adventures of the Earthling and the Aether-ship Talisman

Copyright 2016, Basement Interactive";
show the current quotation;	
pause the game;
clear the screen;
now the right hand status line is "SCORE [score] / 250".[/code]

We probably need some more info on the problem, and what happens instead.

I pasted your code into an empty project, included Basic Screen Effects (in Inform 6M62) and it printed out OK. So there’s likely some interaction with the rest of your project going on.

What happens instead of what you expected to happen? Does the game begin but you don’t see the quote?

Do you have any other ‘when play begins’ rules? One of them might somehow prevent this one from running if it runs before it.

-Wade

This is coded on Inform 7 ver. 6L38, due to that I am using an i386 Ubuntu based distro.

[code]
“THE CRYSTAL DIMENSION CHRONICLES I[line break]The Strange Adventures of the Earthling and the Aether-ship Talisman” by “Jeremy H”

include Basic Screen Effects by Emily Short.

use scoring.

the maximum score is 250.

when play begins:
display the boxed quotation
"THE CRYSTAL DIMENSION CHRONICLES-

~=0=~-  Part One  -~=0~-

The Strange Adventures of the Earthling and the Aether-ship Talisman

Copyright 2016, Basement Interactive";
show the current quotation;	
pause the game;
clear the screen;
now the right hand status line is "SCORE [score] / 250".

The Boszon Physics Research Lab is a room. “We begin here.”[/code]

It may be easier to write a custom status-line routine for the start of the game, rather than leaning on the boxed-quotation mechanism.

Then again, as severedhand said, your code works as written. (I tested it in 6L38.)

Hey thanks guys, yeah I always had strange things happen with the dumb frotz interpreter that went with at least that version Inform 7… It either didn’t show a dark bar for the status line, or it did things I complained about before…

BTW Zarf, I ordered Hadean Lands from Ichi.io and just want to give you respect for doing what you did and I hope you will do as you said on Get Lamp, “…make interactive fiction and sell it until the cows come home…” I feel you make quality IF, and that it is at a reasonable price asked, unlike a fellow impleMentor of mine who went under, not because IF is unpopular, but how he over-prices his titles… I respect his ideas on IF, but not his business models.