moving "understand as a mistake" to "after reading a command

I have a bunch of disparate “understand “X” as a mistake” lines in my source I would like to clean up. Like, about 100 in Shuffling Around.

In fact I think it would be most efficient to dump them into “after reading a command.”

But I’m wondering about possible bad effects beside the usual needing to debug.

understand "troves" as a mistake ("Nice try, but that's next game! You do not need riches to beat Red Bull Burdell.[fake-clue of store v]") when player is in trips strip.
understand "towers" as a mistake ("That should work--but it doesn't! Maybe the towers would be too big to tackle in the game in a series, anyway.[fake-clue of store w]") when player is in trips strip.

To…

after reading a command:
  if player is in trips strip: [this could go in a separate action]
    if the player's command includes "troves", say "...." instead;
    if the player's command includes "towers", say "...." instead;

Is this a good idea? It feels right, but I’m wary of mucking heavily with such an important function. It could even help code organization so I know what special tries are accounted for.

I guess I’m looking for general possible problems here I don’t know about, and given the scope of the change, I’d like to make sure I’m not shooting myself in the foot before I start. For instance, I doubt there’ll be much slowdown with the big if clauses, but that came to mind as a potential problem. But it would be nice to be able to reduce the # of actions in the header (“use MAX_ACTIONS of 210” could drop to, say, 110).

Thanks!

Mistakes are parsed as regular verbs, which makes them very efficient. “player’s command includes” is somewhat slower.

Thanks! I’m glad the simpler code works better.

Think I’ll still move all the “understand” code into one book/chapter, though.