How to get started creating a language extension

I would like to create a Latin Language extension for Inform. I’ve spent a few hours flailing around and thought it was time to ask for some help.

I started out looking at http://inform7.com/extensions/translations/ and eventually realized that these are out of date.

Then I searched here and looked at this thread and the French and Spanish extensions that Natrium729 references.

It took me a while to realize that the reason I couldn’t get these extensions to work was that I was using Inform 6M62. I reverted to 6L38 and finally got them to work.

I don’t know any French, though, so it’s sometimes hard to know exactly what’s going on there. My Spanish is better, though not great.

Any recommendations on the best way to proceed?

I’ve made a little progress, but even simple things are proving a pain. Like:

The examine undescribed things rule response (A) is "[The noun] notabilis non [sumus].".

and I can’t get the noun at the beginning capitalized no matter what I do. I’ve tried [Noun] instead (because Latin doesn’t have articles) and I’ve tried “in sentence case” which is an error.

A Latin extension would be fantastic! For your problem, you could create a new substitution:

To say capital (O - an object): let T be "[O]"; say T in sentence case.I haven’t tested it, maybe I made a mistake with the syntax.

I think one of the most difficult thing to do will be to understand correctly the cases. POETAM DARE is different that POETAE DARE. (my Latin is rusty, sorry if something is wrong.)

I wish you good luck, and I can help if you have questions.