A question about tables...

Is there a way to add columns(as opposed to rows) to tables, without making the table a real mess??
I have a 5 column table that I want to add about 9 more columns to. I want to do this because I don’t want to have to make another table in which I will have to constantly import values between them(plus I need the values already in the table in order to create values to go into the new columns).
If this is not possible, without making it a big mess, then is it possible to deal with two different tables in the same rule? I recall running into trouble when I tried this in the past.

Thanks

Why not simply modify the original table to include the extra columns using blank values (–) and fill them in as needed?

You can add define a table in multiple places with (continued). So you could define all the columns in the original place, and then add only specify the relevant ones later on.

Hertz,
That’s essentially what I am doing. These columns are for values defined in subroutines in the program; the columns would be initially blank. I need to add nine columns to the original five, and as you might guess, I have the right edge of the window to contend with. In my previous work, I had a table of conversation responses that ended up being quite wide, and though it worked perfectly, it was quite a mess on the screen. Maybe I can just widen window(why didn’t I think of this earlier?). Thanks.

Dannii,

I thought you could do that–(continued)–only with rows…?? I found that in the manual, but I don’t recall it saying you could do that with columns. I will try it, however, just to see if it works. Thanks

Wow, my last post was not great English.

I think you can’t add extra columns, but the (continued) tables don’t have to have all the columns. So you could have

[code]
Table A
Column 1 Column 2 Column 3 Column 4 Column 5 Column 6 Column 7 Column 8
with 1 blank row

Table A (Continued)
Column 1 Column 4 Column 5 Column 6
actual data

Table A (Continued)
Column 1 Column 2 Column 3 Column 7 Column 8
more actual data[/code]

Depending on what exactly you’re trying to do, that could be a good way to organise your code.

Thanks for the tip.

Another tip: Editing a spreadsheet and copy-paste into the inform source code window when done.

That way you have one version you can read well, and another that the compiler can read well.

Thanks priv–good idea.