newbie questions (listing room exits, IDE)

Hi,

I am just discovering IF and Inform7, and I must say I’m exciting. I’m dabbling around in I7 just to kick the tires, and I’ve got two questions (plus a third more general question).

1. How can I make a list of exits show up following a room description (after entering or a look command)? I would think would be easy to do, but I can’t seem to find out how.

2. I’m on a MacBook Pro (El Capitan), when I select File | Install Extension… nothing happens. (I suspect this is not the expected behavior.) I’ve read there are issues with I7 with newer versions of Mac OS X; is this one of them?

3. I really want to be an independent learner; when I have a question like 1 above, what is a good strategy for finding an answer?

Thanks all!

Howard

I’m still learning I7 myself, but for your first question, you might find Example #350, in §18.23 of the manual, helpful.

I can’t help with the second question, being a PC user myself, but I am like you when it comes to #3. I try to go through the documentation first and foremost; for example, I found the answer to your first question by searching the documentation for “exits” and clicking through the list until I found what I was looking for.

Other than that, I will often just try whatever I can think of to see what works and what doesn’t work. When I am at my wit’s end, I come here, and the very helpful and knowledgeable people here help me out. Usually it is something very silly that I have missed, or didn’t properly understand, but they don’t seem to begrudge me my thick-headedness.

:smiley: