[I7] Verb in "say"

I’m trying to handle a particular backdrop item. I have the following code:

Instead of doing something other than examining the tree when the current action involves the tree: say "You can't [the verb] to [the noun]!"

“the tree” is a backdrop that appears in a specific region. This code gives me the error:

Problem. You wrote 'say "You can't [the verb] to [the noun]!"' , but 'verb' is used in a context where I'd expect to see a (single) specific example of an object, not a description.

Is there an easy way to do what I am attempting to do?

By the time the parser gets to Instead rules, it’s not thinking about the command in terms of a verb (like “examine”), it’s thinking about it in terms of an action (like “examining”). This is because there isn’t always a one-to-one relationship between verbs and actions: the action might have arisen from any number of different verbs (“look at”, “x”, etc.), or even no verb at all (such as a “try” phrase in the code itself).

You could try something like:Instead of doing something other than examining the tree when the current action involves the tree: say "There's no point in [the current action]!"…which would produce, for example:> ATTACK TREE There's no point in attacking the tree!

Oh thanks, that worked perfectly!