Questions about Doors

I’m new to Inform 7 so I apologize if this question is very basic or stupid.

I’ve been trying to create some doors between a few rooms, but Inform keeps giving me the following error message:
You wrote ‘The charming wooden door is east of the Entry Hall and west of the Master Bedroom’ , but in another sentence ‘East of the Entry Hall and south of the Garden is the Master Bedroom’ : but this looks like a contradiction, which might be because I have misunderstood what was meant to be the subject of one or both of those sentences.

The relevant code (among other code) is:

[code]Down from the Hallway is the Entry Hall. The description of the Entry Hall is “A tiny room used for storing coats and boots. It’s decorated thoroughly to please any guests that might happen to find themselves in our house.”

East of the Kitchen is the Garden. The description of the Garden is “The backyard is probably one of the emptiest backyards you’ve seen. There’s no furniture, only a small bed of flowers growing on the side. A wooden door leads west back into the kitchen and a huge glass door leads south into the master bedroom.”

East of the Entry Hall and south of the Garden is the Master Bedroom. The description of the Master Bedroom is “This is your mother’s bedroom. It’s a large room, about twice the size of your bedroom, and contains a lonely king-sized bed. To the west is the Entry Hall, and to the north is a glass door leading to the garden.”

The charming wooden door is east of the Entry Hall and west of the Master Bedroom. The charming wooden door is a door. The charming wooden door is lockable and locked. The matching key of the charming wooden door is the small key. The description of the charming wooden door is “A charming wooden door that leads to your mother’s bedroom. She doesn’t like you in there, so it’s usually locked.”

The small key is nowhere. The description of the small key is “A small key, bent slightly.”

The glass door is south of the Garden and north of the Master Bedroom. The glass door is a door. The glass door is lockable and locked. The glass door is transparent. The description of the glass door is “A glass door that leads from the garden to the master bedroom. You can see through it.”[/code]

Only one thing can be “east of the Entry Hall”: either the door, or the room directly. Similarly for north of the Master Bedroom. Change the first sentence in your third paragraph to “The Master Bedroom is a room” and you should be good.

(Another way of thinking about it is, “X is east of Y” makes a direct connection between the rooms, without a door there. Inform is confused because you’re asking for a door, but also a doorless passage.)

I’ve made the change you suggested, but I am still getting the same error message.

Exactly the same message?

Yes.

In that case you didn’t remove the correct line; it’s still complaining about “East of the Entry Hall and south of the Garden is the Master Bedroom”.

Ok, thanks. It’s fine now.