Increase story source text font size?

I have low vision. When I increase the font size in inform7 preferences, it increases the size of the font in the displayed manuals. Is there a way to increase the font size in the story source text? I have searched the manual and played with preferences without luck. I am running the latest version of Inform 7 on a Mac Book Pro with OS X installed.

Thank you,
v/r
Jeff

2 Likes

(EDIT: Duh, you said Mac, I’m so sorry. But I think it’s the same. I’ll look at it later when I switch desktops.)

On Windows, go to edit > preferences and it’s right at the top.

If it still isn’t working, is it possible you’ve got a special desktop font size preference overriding everything?

Other possibility - you’re using a font at a size that isn’t provided for? (such as defaulting to the Bold face of it?)

Capture.JPG

1 Like

In the Mac IDE, the Preferences dialog has an Editing tab which lets you adjust the source text and a Text Size tab which lets you adjust the story text.

1 Like

I found a solution on my Mac Book Pro. It is kind a kludge but it works. Changing the font directly in the Font Size selection window does not work. It always reverts back to 12 pts. However, when I increase the font percentage in each individual selection in the middle of the preferences selection window it increases the font size and remains. To get a comfortable font size, I have to use the maximum increase of +39 %.

It works and Inform 7 is incredible software. I have been experimenting with Twine and Tads 3 as well. Inform 7 is the perfect balance and has the complexity and flexibility I am looking for.

I will install the Windows 7 version on an old Dell laptop to see if the font size can be changed normally there.

Thank you for all of your help!

v/r
Jeff

1 Like

I downloaded a fresh copy of Inform 7 and installed on my Mac Book Pro. The new install behaves as expected. I can modify the story source text font properly.

Thank you again for all of your help.

Jeff

1 Like

This is still helpful four years later. Thank you! Saved my aging eyes.

2 Likes

Hi there.

I hope it’s OK to bump this oldish thread. I’m new to both Macs and Inform, so I’m struggling a bit getting set up. I have Inform 7 version 1.82.3 installed on a MacBook Air.

I was able to follow the instructions here to zoom the source text (thanks!) but the default text of the story itself is still too small for me. I just cannot find the setting for that.

I suspect that the instructions from 2017 by @zarf are out of date now. The preferences dialog for me just has “Author”, “Editing”, “Colour” and “Advanced” tabs.

It’s possible that this is a setting so obvious to regular Mac users that it doesn’t need to be stated. Apologies in that case (but please state it anyway :smile: ).

I’ll note in passing that I encountered two sources of frustration while hitting this issue:

1. The editing tab in the preferences dialog is taller than the screen, making me wonder whether the setting I needed was off-screen. That wasn’t it. Setting the OS’s resolution to “More Space” shows the whole dialog and there’s just more sample text down there.
  2. The context menu for the story pane has a font setting (hurray!) but that setting only affects the source pane (boo!).

Thanks for any guidance,

Malcolm

2 Likes

On my Mac it’s Inform>Preferences>Editing and you can choose font and font size:

It is a very tall dialog, but font settings are near the top. I actually have version 1.68.1, so I may be actually out of date.

The “Text Size” tab affects the right window under “application text size”:

3 Likes

You are. The 10.1.2 release doesn’t have the Text Size prefs tab (for the game-playing pane).

I’m not sure what’s up with that.

EDIT-ADD: Oh, it’s the “Documentation font size” slider. Turns out that controls both the documentation pane and the story pane.

4 Likes

Ah, that works, thank you. It wasn’t obvious, yet I wonder why I didn’t just try it anyway :smiley:

Malcolm

1 Like

My apologies for misleading. I haven’t been working in I7 and usually just pop open borogove.io .

2 Likes

No worries. Your message was actually very helpful, because it confirmed I didn’t have the expected tab. I think it would have helped me find my way to the answer if zarf hadn’t posted the solution.

Malcolm

2 Likes

The solution suggested here only works to a limited extent (on macOS Sonoma). Cranking the “Documentation font size” slider up to the max still leaves me with text in the game play panel very small. Also there’s no way to alter the game play font from whatever the default is (Gill Sans, I think). It seems poor interface design to me. Is it any different for game players of compiled games?