intfiction.org

The Interactive Fiction Community Forum
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:12 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:01 pm 

I've downloaded Undum to try to do something for the Indigo SpeedIF (though I think I'll probably miss the deadline), and I'm finding the documentation kind of opaque on basic questions.

Starting with the very basic: How do I edit an Undum game? Do I just open tutorial.game.en.js in a text editor and hack away? Do tab stops matter?

Also -- assuming that I'm ever ready to release a game, how do I do it? What files do I need to package together?

The documentation mentions a .js file and an HTML file. When I open the HTML file that was included with the game, it just starts the game up. How do I edit it?

Also, what's all this stuff talking about? Where does it go?

I sort of get the impression that the documentation is designed for people who have the slightest little clue about javascript, which is not me.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:05 pm 

My impression is that Undum does require a lot of developer knowledge. However, I know Jon Ingold has made some tools to help create Undum content, and this post suggests that some of those tools are already published and more may be forthcoming.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:15 pm 

Oh dear. That seems to make it very unlikely that I will make the deadline. Well, I can always release it some day as an annex to the SpeedIF. Speed-limit IF or something.

I think I'm actually OK with encasing my text in HTML tags, which is what that link of Jon's seems to help with.My project would involve lots of different colored text anyway, so I'd have to go into HTML for that, I think.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:19 pm 

What looked promising to me there was that it sounded as though he also does have (though may not have released) a thing that turns script files into whatever javascript format Undum needs. If you're interested, maybe email him? (Then again, speed-IF completed after the deadline has a long and honorable tradition of its own.)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:44 pm 

I took a look at it a few days ago. Lacking other tools, yeah, you have to edit the tutorial files, see what they're doing, and change them. In a text editor. You'll have to know HTML, and enough Javascript to imitate some code.

The files in question: games/tutorial.en.html , games/media/games/tutorial/tutorial.game.en.js

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:52 pm 

emshort wrote:
What looked promising to me there was that it sounded as though he also does have (though may not have released) a thing that turns script files into whatever javascript format Undum needs. If you're interested, maybe email him? (Then again, speed-IF completed after the deadline has a long and honorable tradition of its own.)

Those both look like good options -- I mean, I think I'll e-mail Jon eventually, and also complete this after the deadline, maybe in 2012. I can't even figure out how to open the HTML file in a text editor (the file opens, but it looks like the opening screen of the tutorial game instead of showing me the HTML tags). Also, it's the end of the term.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:32 am 

zarf wrote:
I took a look at it a few days ago. Lacking other tools, yeah, you have to edit the tutorial files, see what they're doing, and change them. In a text editor. You'll have to know HTML, and enough Javascript to imitate some code.

I'm doing okay, and my Javascript is both rudimentary and much-decayed; it is, at least, pretty easy to make it function as a vanilla CYOA -- which ignores most of the stuff that makes Undum attractive, but it's something. (It is very persnickety about typing everything just so, though, so Jon's extension should be highly useful.)

Matt: what text editor are you using?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:48 am 

maga wrote:
Matt: what text editor are you using?

TextEdit, on the Mac, and I just got it to work. (For posterity: Turn on "Ignore rich text commands in HTML files" in the Open and Save tab of the preferences. Opening it with the rich text commands on and converting to plain text doesn't work.) This means I'll probably finish sooner than I'd thought, though the deadline is right out.

If your Javascript is rudimentary and decayed, that means you've forgotten more of it than I know. (For instance.)

...I don't need to understand CSS if I don't want to modify the default look (besides the font color), do I?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:23 am 

Quote:
...I don't need to understand CSS if I don't want to modify the default look (besides the font color), do I?

Not in the slightest. An HTML font tag will do the trick.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:47 pm 

maga wrote:
An HTML font tag will do the trick.

Somewhere a web developer is coughing up blood.