Trouble with Cover Art

I’m having trouble getting my Cover.jpg (or png) and Small Cover.jpg/png files to actually bind up with a release. I’m running I7 6H98 on OSX Lion.

I’ve tried saving my files as jpg and png in the materials folder, changing capitalization, and adding the “release along with cover art” line in the source. When I do it, the file produces the default sepia book image used by inform. I can move the correct art into the release folder and the website will use it, but the Blorb doesn’t.

Any suggestions?

Hi, I’ll try to help so you’re not sitting around waiting for someone with more experience :slight_smile:

I don’t know the heirarchy of your folders, but here’s my preamble in my inform document:

[spoiler][code]
The story title is “Matrix Text Game”.
The story author is “The Crisses”.
The story headline is “A Shadowrun Matrix Simulator”.
The story genre is “Game Assistant”.
The release number is 11.
The story description is “A play-along version of matrix interactions to help speed play at live pencil-and-paper games. Other uses: GM can test matrix threats/features, can help to train new hacker & technomancer players.
Image credit: Unmaterial Tower by Lance Sheilds (cc/by, cropped & color-adjusted).”

The story creation year is 2012.
Release along with an interpreter, cover art and the source text.
Release along with a file of “Sample Character” called “Myth.i7x”.
Release along with a file of “Shadowrun Matrix Extension” called “Shadowrun Matrix.i7x”.
Release along with a file of “Release Notes” called “ReleaseNotes.rtf”.
Use undo prevention and the American dialect.
[/code][/spoiler]

And my document hierarchy:

Matrix Text Game Matrix Text Game Materials\ Cover.jpg Myth.i7x Release\ ... ReleaseNotes.rtf Shadowrun Matrix.i7x Small Cover.jpg Spellcasting.i7x

My Cover.jpg is custom, as is my Small Cover.jpg.

Make sure you capitalize your filenames the same way! That could be your issue… I can’t tell because I don’t have this info. By the way you can select a list of files and “copy → paste” into a text document, add tabs in, then paste into the forum reply form so we can look at what you have. I indented and added \ to show folders…

I have:

Release along along with cover art. Release along with an interpreter. Release along with a website.

I tried deleting the previous release folder and trying again. Only possible thing…my art program exports as “.jpeg” which I keep renaming to .jpg. Possible reason?

I zapped inform and am reinstalling.

Reinstall of inform, and deleted the materials folder, ran the code, dropped the jpgs into the materials folder, ran and got default pictures for some reason.

Also tried .png…no avail.

file hierarchy

Gig Gig Gig Materials Cover.jpg [right one] Release Cover.jpg [default] Gig.gblorb index.html interpreter dialog.css Gig.gblorb.js glkote.css glkote.min.js quixe.min.js waiting.gif play.html Small Cover.jpg [default] style.css Small Cover.jpg [right one] Gig.z8 giglogo

The word ``along’’ is duplicated. Is that it? (If it is, it would be good to find out while the compiler didn’t catch it.)

I deleted the second "along " and had the same results.

On a side note, gargoyle for mac will not accept keyboard input. It displays the first page of text waiting for the spacebar. (Emily’s screen effects extension pausing the game) and then it goes nowhere. Zoom works just fine.

Please try combining all the statements together:
“Release along with an interpreter, cover art and the source text.”

I have a feeling the setting may be a list, and the separate statements are overwriting the former setting. I may have had a similar problem until I combined them together – I remember having an issue, but I don’t recall what it was.

And rename the Release folder to “Old Release” so that all the files are generated from scratch when you release again.

I know nothing about your other issue, I’m not using those interpreters.

Thanks all for the help. Will try combining the statements today.

No, the compiler accepts either separate or combined statements. I just tested this.

Also, “Release along along with cover art” generates an error: “I can’t find a verb here that I know how to deal with.”

Release along with an interpreter, cover art, and a website.

(Tried with serial comma, and without.

[code]This is the report produced by Inform 7 (build 6G60) on its most recent run through:

Problem. You wrote ‘Release along with an interpreter, cover art, and a website’ : but this looks like a contradiction, because the same property seems to be being set in each of these sentences, but with a different outcome.
Problem. You wrote ‘Release along with an interpreter, cover art, and a website’ : but this looked to me as if it might be trying to create something which has certain properties, and that made no sense on investigation. This sometimes happens if a sentence uses ‘with’ a little too liberally, or to specify a never-declared property. For instance, ‘An antique is a kind of thing with an age.’ would not be the right way to declare the property ‘age’ (because it does not tell Inform what kind of value this would be). Instead, try ‘An antique is a kind of thing. An antique has a number called age.’ It would then be all right to say ‘The Louis Quinze chair is an antique with age 241.’[/code]

I’m going to try and make a completely new file and paste the source in.

The parser error you pasted in doesn’t show a period at the end?

Hate to ask the “is your computer plugged in” type of question but: Is there a period there?

Can you paste us the whole preamble before you create a room?

Here’s mine for comparison. Yes, I just raised my memory limits to oblivion (see other thread):

[spoiler][code]
The story title is “Matrix Text Game”.
The story author is “The Crisses”.
The story headline is “A Shadowrun Matrix Simulator”.
The story genre is “Game Assistant”.
The release number is 11.
The story description is “A play-along version of matrix interactions to help speed play at live pencil-and-paper games. Other uses: GM can test matrix threats/features, can help to train new hacker & technomancer players.
Image credit: Unmaterial Tower by Lance Sheilds (cc/by, cropped & color-adjusted).”

The story creation year is 2012.
Release along with an interpreter, cover art and the source text.
Release along with a file of “Sample Character” called “Myth.i7x”.
Release along with a file of “Shadowrun Matrix Extension” called “Shadowrun Matrix.i7x”.
Release along with a file of “Release Notes” called “ReleaseNotes.rtf”.
Use undo prevention and the American dialect.

[There’s a lot going on, so don’t change these lines. This makes it so that the game doesn’t crash.]
Use MAX_OBJ_PROP_COUNT of 256.
Use MAX_PROP_TABLE_SIZE of 2000000.
Use MAX_STATIC_DATA of 5000000.
Use MAX_OBJECTS of 4000.
Use MAX_ARRAYS of 4000.
[/code][/spoiler]

Edit: I’m just not sure whether you need your release information at the beginning of the document, or if you’re missing something like a period somewhere, so pasting it in would be helpful for friendly eyes.

Seriously, Inform?

I thought I had this licked but I don’t. I noticed that Jon Ingold’s Title Page extension caused compiling to fail.

Release along with an interpreter, a website, and cover art.

Problem. You wrote ‘Release along with an interpreter, a website, and cover art’ : but this looked to me as if it might be trying to create something which has certain properties, and that made no sense on investigation. This sometimes happens if a sentence uses ‘with’ a little too liberally, or to specify a never-declared property. For instance, ‘An antique is a kind of thing with an age.’ would not be the right way to declare the property ‘age’ (because it does not tell Inform what kind of value this would be). Instead, try ‘An antique is a kind of thing. An antique has a number called age.’ It would then be all right to say ‘The Louis Quinze chair is an antique with age 241.’

Holy crap. The answer was capitalization???

Release along with the source text and a library card and a website.
Release along with Cover Art and an interpreter.

It worked and used the correct art.

Man, I’m wiped.

Is it possible that you weren’t using the serial comma? I don’t think this should make a difference, but maybe it does – I notice that the code didn’t work has a serial comma and the code that did work doesn’t.

Nope, that’s not the problem. I just tried with capitalization both ways, and commas in and out of place. All of the following work the same:

Release along with the source text and a library card and a website.

Release along with the source text, and a library card, and a website.
Release along with cover art, and an interpreter.

Release along with the source text, a library card and a website.

Release along with the source text, a library card, a website.
Release along with cover art, an interpreter.

Release along with the source text, a library card, and a website.

It’s totally weird. Mine doesn’t work that way.

[code]Release along with the source text, a library card, a website.

Release along with cover art, and an interpreter.[/code]

Problem. You wrote ‘Release along with cover art, and an interpreter’ : but this looks like a contradiction, because the same property seems to be being set in each of these sentences, but with a different outcome.

This is the only way I can make it work. It’s not technically a problem since it’s working, but it’s very weird.

Release along with a Library Card, an Interpreter, a Website, and Cover Art.

Possibly you’re defining some term in your code that conflicts with one of those phrases, and the compiler gets confused?

That must be it. I’ll have to experiment with another project to see if it happens again. I had tried copying the entire source into a new project to see if the project was borked.