Authoring tools for coherent characters and narration?

On a non-text level, this sounds rather like LA Noire. LA Noire is graphical, but you advance from place to place, inspect crime scenes, interview witnesses, and eventually announce a verdict about who committed any given crime.

(There are also occasional running/gunning/driving sequences, but I believe they can all be skipped if that’s not your thing.)

Thanks! Yes, these examples are what I’m interested in. However, I think you are right in that I don’t have enough time to sufficiently investigate the existing titles. Probably I’ll have to make this a personal project and postpone it until I can dive into current systems and examples further.
Again, thank you very much!

You might want to look into C.E.J. Pacian’s Rogue of the Multiverse as well – it’s a reasonably short parser game (should be playable in under two hours) that I think fulfills some of your criteria.

I have a rant in progress in another window about how Centipede demonstrates the difficulties with having the game move on by itself while you’re trying to solve a puzzle, but maybe later. (TL;DR: In Centipede no one even knows there is a puzzle.)