Magnetic Scripts released

I’ve been away over xmas and New Year.

I got the C magnetic interpreter compiled and working. Turns out i only need the emulator core to build the back-end plugin for the text part. I’ll add hooks for graphics later.

I now need to make the front-end plug in interface a bit more general to accommodate both technologies (and possibly others).

It’s all up on gitlab, I’ll be open sourcing it once it works.

It should suport Windows, Linux, Mac OSX, Android and, in theory, iPhone.

Then there’s the docs :-/

Hi,

sorry, I couldn’t jump in earlier, in the last months I have been busy to the absurd and so I couldn’t work on the next Magnetic Scripts version yet. Unfortunately this will not change in the the next 2-3 months.

Some hints: If you need the sources of Magnetic Scripts, just download the page. This gets you practically everything, only the php scripts for the save game storage on the server are missing. Not sure, what you plan to implement, but the hardest part was dealing with the fact that Javascript in the browser ist single threaded and you can’t just send a running game loop to sleep without further ado (and digging through the Emscripten API as some parts weren’t well documented - at least when I wrote Magnetic Scripts).

If you plan on doing a Android version, take a look at JMagnetic. The UI is outdated and might have problems on recent JRE, but the Magnetic core is a full implementation of the last Magnetic 2.3 version. This might save you from using the JNI if that is still mandatory with the recent Android SDK.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask and I’ll try to help.

Stefan

Hi Stefan,

Thanks for your support on this.

I do my cross platform work in Qt. I’m currently using the C version of magnetic. JNI is not a problem. I actually prefer to develop as much as possible as a back end anyhow.

I’ve been building a front-end GUI and decided to make a plugin interface so that, in theory, any text engine could be adapted for it. Currently the candidates im working on are:

• magnetic
  • brahman.

The project will build for Windows/Linux/OSX also Android. In theory also iOS, but there’s a distribution problem there.

Some back-ends will support “point and click text”. It would be interesting to try to make this work with magnetic. In theory this could be done by adding markup to the text, but it would be a lot of work. So for V1, the magnetic experience will involve the inevitable typing. :slight_smile:

I’m going to try to get permission to distribute the Scrolls’ content.

thanks.

GarGlk can run Magnetic Scrolls github.com/garglk/garglk/tree/m … s/magnetic? So if you target Glk as an output linking for C - should be able to run it in the multi-headed native-code (C/C++ code) based Glk apps for Android (Son of Hunkypunk, Twisty 2.0, and forthcoming Thunderword).

interesting.

You have an android specific codebase there. What im proposing is a single, cross platform codebase that can host plugin terps.

The code I linked to, Gargoyle, isn’t Android. I was referencing terps, as plugins, that all link to the the same glk.h 0.7.4 I/O functions eblong.com/zarf/glk/glk.h

I made a “magnetic” engine plugin for Brahman. Right now it just shows the text and simple pictures. No real clever stuff yet.

Here’s a shot from Android,

Great progress. Trust me, on Android getting even graphics and sound worked out with Interactive Fiction text input is a big accomplishment.

Thanks. I’m starting a new thread on this idea…