sub-Q Magazine wants you!

You may really want to consider offering download links. “The Horrible Pyramid” is an Inform game and I really should be able to download it to play offline in my interpreter of choice, rather than be stuck with Parchment.

Intriguing, and thank you for reaching out. This is a suggestion worth exploring. Will think about what it would mean for the magazine.

In the short run, FWIW, since “The Horrible Pyramid” is a reprint, the zblorb is available on its IFDb page: ifdb.tads.org/viewgame?id=y3njzbvdp6zyike5

Hope this helps, and hope you enjoy the game!

I know it is, but that’s the old version, v1. The new version is v3, and I’m very interested in playing that one.

And adding it to my collection.

EDIT - It’s a Quixe game, and therefore I would expect the playable file to be at either sub-q.com/wp-content/uploads/20 … mid.gblorb. It appears not to be so, though.

If you could point me to the actual location of the .gblorb file so I could download it, I’d be very happy. :slight_smile:

If you take the javascript file, cut off the javascript code at the beginning and end, then you can decode the base64 to get the file.

sub-q.com/wp-content/uploads/20 … .gblorb.js

Now you’re starting to speak greek, as far as I’m concerned…

I suppose if SubQ won’t do it, and if Ryan Veeder doesn’t respond to my PM, I’ll research what you’re talking about and try it out eventually, so thanks for letting me know it is, at least, possible.

Isn’t it on ifdb or in last year’s ectocomp zip?

Version 1 is. The version on SubQ is v3.

Done. That was actually easy!

Dannii, a VERY big thank you, you’ve made my life a lot easier! I know what to do in the future!

No thanks to SubQ magazine on this one.

EDIT - The ABOUT text does say:

A very good reason for wanting to download and experience. In fact, as evidenced by this thread, some people (including, bizarelly, you, AteYourLembas, because you linked me to v1 of the game) didn’t even KNOW this was a new version of a game they’d already seen. Probably something that SubQ will want to address.

EDIT 2 - Actually, that brings up a question. The upcoming 9:05 in SubQ - is it an updated version? Or is it the same 9:05 that we’ve played before? I have to ask, since apparently this information isn’t volunteered.

Same with Swept Up. It was released last year. Is this the same version, a new version, or what?

EDIT 3 - I didn’t check out “My Father’s Long Legs” at SubQ because I’d already played it. Should I have? Is it a new version? Or is it the same version as before?

EDIT 4 - Please reconsider the following sentence to describe 9:05:

It’s not nearly as deliciously ambiguous as the whole game. In fact, though it probably won’t spoil anyone by itself, it’s an unwanted hint at the final revelation. I’m not just griping and moaning: this (along with the “different versions” thing) is an editorial consideration the magazine should have. I think.
The Horrible Pyramid v3.gblorb (571 KB)

“Release 1”, as linked from IFDB, contains the same message about adding additional hours of work. I think Ryan just forgot to bump the release number when he put the post-comp release out.

Really? The plot thickens and things get more confusing. Still, the IFDB version does say “Release 1 / Serial number 131201” and the SubQ version does say “Release 3 / Serial number 151027”.

So nevermind what I said about the ABOUT text. :slight_smile: Just mind everything else I wrote.

Just for general edification, the 9:05 in SubQ is indeed the latest version as we know it. It’s not an update of any sort, or at least the version and release numbers seem to indicate it isn’t.

I have to put this information here, because SubQ did’t put it anywhere.

Again - “clear out fast”? Please, please please edit that out. It’s horrible. It takes some of the ambiguity out. Take a look at Cadre’s original blurb, get his permission to use it, it’s perfect.

Thank you for your continued interest in sub-Q, Peter! And thank you for bearing with us. I understand you have many expectations we’re not meeting. As we publish parser IF we’re trying to join a party that’s been going on for thirty years; I’m surprised we haven’t stepped on more toes than we have! I’m deeply grateful for how open and engaging authors of all stripes have been to us–and hope our good fortune can continue.

We are trying to do a lot with limited resources, and in many ways we lack rigor. Our process is improving, and I hope it grows into something more complete and consistent in the coming months (may we survive the coming months!) We do tend to make decisions in favor of attracting readers. I understand that frustrates established patterns, and I’ll take your perspective into consideration.

I hope this helps. Your patience is much appreciated.

I do have to say that all of your responses have been nothing but positive, enthusiastic and professional. This one included. In the long term, that is key in your continued success. Kudos!

Thanks for the understanding and the kind words. They make the quest easier.

I’m having trouble understanding what pages I should watch for new works.

I’ve been checking sub-q.com/category/fiction/, because it’s the one I get when I click the “Play” button on the top bar and don’t select any specific sub-category. That seemed to work well, until I just realised that Lyreless and Lime Ergot were not listed there. They are, however, listed in the Fantasy and Horror subsections.

Out of curiosity, I experimented sub-q.com/category/ (I say “experimented” because nothing linked me to it, I just wanted to see what happened) and I got a page that seems a bit more complete. It also seems to be a “Page not found” - it’s funny that I had to navigate to a non-existant page to find what I wanted. :wink:

So, which page should I reliably check for new releases? I’m tempted towards this last one. Games there seem to be in chronological order, so I shouldn’t miss out - but are they really? Or am I mistaken?

EDIT - And you’re not going to change that horrible tagline and blurb for 9:05, are you? :frowning:

Check the homepage. Just plain old sub-q.com. It has all the upcoming releases for each month.

Hi Peter,

Thank you for your continued interest in sub-Q!

Interesting that you’re not seeing “Lyreless” and “Lime Ergot” under the “fiction” category on your end. It is categorized there and visually listed on that page on my end. category/fiction is the best URL/feed link for tracking fiction.

For reader convenience, all invalid/incomplete links redirect to the front page–sub-q.com.

No, I’m not changing the tagline and logline for “9:05.” Thank you for your passion, though!

Hope this helps, and hope you enjoy this month’s stories!

No they don’t! Stop saying that!

Sub-q.com/bacon redirects to the front page, and the front page has updates. What are you guys talking about? Also, Peter, I believe the games are free without the subscription; I feel like you’re worried they’re making a ton of money off the authors, but so far it’s been the opposite, with authors getting paid a bunch before the magazine is turning a profit. I can’t think of any other reason you would be concerned about the way games are presented. Unless it’s about wanting to collect all versions of each game to make sure you don’t miss anything. In that case, it makes sense to me.

Awesome, I didn’t notice that. Cheers!

Actually, I am now! Learning experience: takes a while longer for the FICTION bit to get updated, but it gets updated eventually. Good to know.

Your loss. You’re doing the game a disservice. But it’s good to get that clear.

?

Nope.

Well, not all versions, necessarily, but I want to be sure not to miss out on any release, nor on any version. Not so much concern, as “Hey guys, where do I look for the new stuff so I can always stay in the loop?”. But that’s been addressed.