The spoiler tag

High priority for me. Most interesting threads in this forum are currently unusable. The admins of the German IF forum have implemented such a thing and they are also using phpbb, so maybe it is worth asking them?

Belatedly, I note that I ran into the “text the same color as background” trick in another web forum, and tested it on iOS. Highlighting does not uncover that text (black on black in the tested case).

Someone should check Android, which uses the same browser core but a different text-display and selection engine. Whether that works or not, though, it’s probably time for the color hack to quietly fade away. No pun intended.

Honestly, this seems to be only of academic interest to me. I would assume that 100% (not just 99.9%) of all Apple iOS devices have Javascript enabled and therefore wouldn’t even get the white text on white background (or whatever colour) as I suggested it.

Highlighting does uncover such hidden text on my droid.

99.9%, I’m afraid.

I realize that I’m a remote case there, and if it were only my iPad browing that had spoiler failure, I wouldn’t have said anything.

Alright, fair enough. Which brings us back to the simple solution of just using the same technology for hiding as for unhiding or the complicated solution of a profile option of disabling hidden spoilers altogether, doesn’t it? Those would solve my issues as well.