Using parchment to create an offline distribution file

I’d like to know if there is a way to use the current (2024-02-12) parchment.html to launch a fixed predefined z5 game file that would be in the same directory of parchment.html file.

I have an older version of parchment and I like to use the newer one (that creates external saves) in order to update my distribution/download files on ifarchive and my webpage.

Or is the Inform 7 distribution the indicated way to use parchment? If so, how?

Kind regards,
[INCANUS]

1 Like

That’s what the site generator is for! :slight_smile:

https://iplayif.com/api/sitegen

3 Likes

Wow! Thanks! That was fast :sunglasses:

I don’t have a PC or tablet on hand but I’ll try and report back.

Much obliged,
[INCANUS]

I’ve just tried it out and it works on my mobile.

It even seems to work offline, preserving the save games even between relaunch of the z5.html file with the browser.

What are the limitations for save games preservation? I’m assuming they are stored locally.

Awaiting your kind reply,
[INCANUS]

Just like normal Parchment, they’re stored in the browser’s localStorage. This should be preserved indefinitely, but there is a limit to 10MB.

1 Like

Just for general reference, is there a standard size for a z5 save game file or it varies according to… what?

I’m probably nitpicking, 10Mb seems generous enough.

Kind regards,
[INCANUS]

The savefiles have the RAM and the stack. The RAM is at most 64K, and the stack is usually less than that. You could probably fit at least 100 Z-Machine savefiles in 10MB. Glulx savefiles can be much bigger.

1 Like

Excellent!

@Dannii thanks a lot for all your help and prompt reply.

Gratefully,
[INCANUS]

@Dannii:

I managed to update my online and ZIP distribution games with your current version of Parchment. They’re also queued for update on IF Archive.

Check it out on my (Spanish) blog.

Gratefully,
[INCANUS]

1 Like