What do you do besides IF?

If memory serves correct, bpnichols’ “still”, winner of the 3 day novel contest that year, can be similarly described.

I work as a courtesy clerk/bagger at a grocery store. My interests primarily involve Horror in different ways.

Ah, no but I’ve been thinking about starting a BGG account. I know they play werewolf/mafia on the forum there so it can’t be that bad a place.

As for your boardgame list: I too find the Arkham games a bit too long for what they are. Team-games (Forbidden Island, Pandemic etc.) are a bit hit or miss for me as too often the most competent player figures out the best strategy for the team.

I think I played Puerto Rico once. I lost miserably but I’d definitely play it again. I’ve played so many of these similar kinds of Euros (I play at regular boardgame night at a local boardgame shop) that they kind of all blend into one another. The trouble is, there are certainly ones I enjoyed more than others (I recall a great game where you built cathedrals) but I can never remember their names.

I’ve played regular Ascension a bunch of times and it seems like it’s pretty easy to win: just focus building your attack and killing monsters and don’t get seduced by draw-a-million-cards Dominionesque strategies. Maybe the expansions add more strategic depth?

Worth reading?

I enjoyed reading it once and kept my copy; I probably wouldn’t endorse an acclaimed work by an experimental poet to a random person on the street, but to someone already enjoying Georges Perec, the odds are stacked in your favour.

Boardgames mostly these days, lots of work for GNU, lots of biology and bioinformatics, and some computer programming when I have time/mental energy left at the end of the day.

I troll Reddit, write code for money, write code for free, play too much Counter-Strike, make music nobody listens to, and I don’t pay taxes.

:mrgreen:

I’d listen to it. Especially if you watch Wes Lesley Plays. :slight_smile:

Hey, I’m a working bioinformatician too! :slight_smile: What kind of work are you doing in bioinfo and for GNU?

I work in a lab with ~20 people on fish genomics in Quebec City, Canada. Whereabout are you? Do you have a biostar account?

Enough question marks I guess :slight_smile:

Cool! I’m a postdoc fellow at the European Bioinformatics Institute and the Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute (just outside Cambridge, UK) studying Plasmodium (malaria) proteomics. I don’t have a biostar account! I found that I spent too much time on StackOverflow, so I deleted all StackExchange accounts…I never got into Biostar though because during the time that I was using SO a lot, I was doing more systems-biology type stuff and not so much bioinformatics, so I didn’t have much to contribute.

GNU: I maintain a couple of not-very-popular packages but I’m mostly involved behind-the-scenes, supporting maintainers, evaluating new software submissions and advising on the advisory board. I love coding but most GNU maintainers are better hackers than me, so I realized I would be more useful doing non-coding stuff for GNU. :slight_smile:

Cool research and implication in software. I see you contributed some to Biopython :slight_smile: Any online repo where you share research code?

Mostly it’s just been contributions to other projects like Biopython or lots of internal scripts. I do have a pipeline for analysis with codeml online, which I used for doing molecular evolutionary analyses during my PhD. I haven’t published anything during my post-doc yet so I haven’t released any code. I do have a tool that I spent a lot of time coding in C, which is generally useful but didn’t end up being useful for my purposes…I should probably publish a software note on that and make the code available somewhere!

My github page is mostly for contributing to other projects. I don’t host my own code there.

How about you?